Submit

Kirei_chan

O.G. Codger

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:48 pm
Okay, so I was stalking the AF (as usual) and I stumbled upon this thread in a link.

From what I can tell, this was brought about by the recent threat made by a radical Islamic group to the creators of South Park for having a depiction of the prophet Muhammed in an episode.

So, what are your thoughts?

My piece:
I know that depictions of the prophet Muhammed are strictly discouraged by the Muslim community.
It seems a little, er, insensitive (though that's not quite the right word) toward the Muslims. It just seems like the typical "all Muslims are terrorists" mentality that Americans seem to have. The threat was made by a radical group.
That isn't to say that I condone such threats, or that I don't support free speech (which would be crazy). It just seems like a cultural oversight on the creator of this "draw Muhammed day".  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:53 pm
hey I got twenty Muslim friends and I make terrorist jokes all day they don't care  

klgirebdnchajdelfianemdke

Shirtless Hunter

7,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Brandisher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Deppfan

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:43 am
In America, anything and everything is made fun of. People need to learn to take a joke.  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:53 am
The South Park creators intentionally did that. They basically say "If you're offended by this, get over yourself or get the ******** out."

Speaking of that, I need to see the episode where they had the Golden Plates thing that's a center point of Mormons. My dad has it on his computer because he can't stand the LDS religion. lol  

Jackalope2
Crew

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:14 pm
its just another ignorant case from Muslim radicals, America you can do what ever you want (Within reason) when they run a episode about Jesus i don't make death threats, i laugh my pants off  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:54 am
If we care about offending the Muslims, we should also care about offending everyone else. Lol, I guess I better grab my Kerosene and burn some books.  

CommanderAppleSauce

dir3wolf

250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:34 am
I have to say, it was a bold step to make on south parks side. but the radical group has to think that if they threaten violence to censor even the word muhammed. then the government has all rights to shut them down. If they want to play the censorship game then they have to play by the rules.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:42 am
meh, let them say what they want. I would choose freedom of speech over religion any day. And if their willing to go out of their way to insult someone, if there was something against it, I'm pretty sure they'd do it anyways.  

Ephynas Puggle

Sparkly Gawker

6,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Bishielurfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:49 pm
Well, I have to say...there's really no such thing as total freedom of speech. But that's a different debate.
Anyway, I totally support people's right to say anything and I would never deny any one that right. It's a beautiful thing. It's what allows people to criticize the government and practice their own beliefs. But I frown on this. Just because you -can- say something doesn't necessarily mean you should. It's unbelievably insenstive. South Park I understand, because their claim to fame is their shock value "say anything, offend anyone" humour (though I do hate that show), but that guy's "Draw Muhammed" thing was ridiculous. The radical group isn't exactly doing good things for the Muslim image, but not all Muslims are like that, and Muslim Americans are facing so much racism and prejudice in America that I feel like it shouldn't be perpetuated. I dunno...I feel like, free speech or not, you should respect people and their beliefs. :  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:13 pm
I'm not trying to be mean, but people need to learn how to take a joke. :l Everything is made fun of in America (hell, we even make fun of ourselves), but that doesn't necessarily mean we actually mean what we say; it's sarcasm.

All the extremists, no matter what religion, gender, or race, are going to b***h about things like that. That doesn't necessarily mean every single person who is a part of that "group" will feel the same way. For example, I know a Muslim in school and he's perfectly okay with jokes that target Muslims (he's actually the one who usually makes them).  

Maiden Yukina

Buffer920

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:24 am
Deppfan
In America, anything and everything is made fun of. People need to learn to take a joke.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:37 am
Deppfan

this is ultimate.  

delasislas

Friendly Gaian

18,675 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100

Zat In The Hat

Hilarious Capitalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:37 pm
Easy one.

You can't yell bomb in a airport or fire in a movie theater without being confronted by the authorities.

You can't practice a religion that sacrifices bunnies to the almighty blueberry monster as this is animal abuse.

In short only within the confines of the law.

The Muhammad thing is a joke get over it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:58 am
It's important to remember that this is an extremist group saying these things.
As for the nonsense with South Park, it shouldn't be a problem. If Trey Parker and Matt Stone were Muslim, they'd adhere to the Five Pillars of Islam and other rules. They aren't, so they don't have to.  

Mad Haru

Koujo no Omoide

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:42 pm
I agree with most everyone here. What South Park did was insensitive, but so is everything that is on that show. If you don't like it, don't watch it; it's meant as a joke and should be taken as such. They also have started more discrimination against ginger's / red heads, and yet there's no one making a fuss over that.
And extremist groups... Well, they'll be extremist groups. If anything should be outlawed in America it's pointless extremist groups (pointless here meaning ones that should NEVER be allowed to change the world, and even their own cultures don't like, most of them relating to religion). They need to calm down. :/

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff