Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Sociology Survey: Serious/Mature Responses Please

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Serious Participators
  +1
View Results

Princess of Rhymes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:43 pm

User Image
Hey there everyone! So I'm taking a sociology class and one of our tasks is to run this survey among a wide spread audience of people. So I thought, what better place then gaia! So here's how it works:

Below are a list of "deviant" acts. Deviant meaning against what you view as a societal norm. I want you to rate these acts from 1 to 15, with 15 being the most serious, and 1 being the least serious. Just copy and paste with your rank beside each choice.

User Image

1. Catching your spouse with a lover and killing them both
2. Embezzling your employer's funds.
3. Robbing a super market with a gun.
4. Forcibly raping a stranger in a park.
5. Selling liquor to minors.
6. Practicing medicine without a license.
7. Soliciting for prostitution.
8. Blowing up a building with people in it.
9. Hitting your child.
10. Selling cocaine.
11. Manufacturing and selling cars known to have dangerous defects.
12. Forcibly raping a former romantic partner or spouse.
13. Being drunk in public.
14. Killing a person for a fee.
15. Conspiring to fix the prices of machines sold to businesses.

User Image

Now here is the important part. Give me your reasons for ranking the way that you did. Also, if you didn't notice all of these things are against the law. Why do you feel some of the things you gave a lower rating to are against the law?

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:59 pm
Interesting I'll take a crack at it.

1. Catching your spouse with a lover and killing them both: 14 (This falls jsut below a 15 because it would be heat of the moment)
2. Embezzling your employer's funds: 10 (People have their reasons for doing this whether it's to get by or just pure greed)
3. Robbing a super market with a gun: 11 (This scored pretty high but just robbing a store and not harming anyone will not get you at 15)
4. Forcibly raping a stranger in a park: 15 (Rape is a terrible crime period.)
5. Selling liquor to minors: 10
6. Practicing medicine without a license: 10
7. Soliciting for prostitution: 15 (This is sad to see. Some lady selling herself for money)
8. Blowing up a building with people in it: 15
9. Hitting your child: 6 (there's a fine line when it comes to discipline and abuse)
10. Selling cocaine: 13 (Drug dealer pretty low but not enough to score a 15)
11. Manufacturing and selling cars known to have dangerous defects: 7 (It's business deal with it when you have to cross the bridge)
12. Forcibly raping a former romantic partner or spouse: 15 (Again rape is a terrible crime)
13. Being drunk in public: 5 (Nothing serious you party too hard etc etc)
14. Killing a person for a fee: 15 (This is also pretty low. Murder is terrible period)
15. Conspiring to fix the prices of machines sold to businesses: 4

There's is supposedly 5 levels on how people see the law. I cannot remember what it's called. But the scale goes from 1 (people who decide whether to break or obey a law with the mind set that they can or cannot get away with it) to 5 (People who believe that the law should always be obeyed no matter the circumstances) I fall around a 4 in this category and a lot of these questions are frowned upon in my book.  

Zat In The Hat

Hilarious Capitalist

Britainian_Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:11 pm
1. Catching your spouse with a lover and killing them both (15) definitely the worst of the bunch, depriving one person you know and one you don't of life.
2. Embezzling your employer's funds.(7) this is bad, but not nearly as bad as anything physical
3. Robbing a super market with a gun.( cool slightly worse due to the threat of violence, but only a threat.
4. Forcibly raping a stranger in a park. (10) could be worse, you could be dead.
5. Selling liquor to minors.(5) people will find a way to be stupid, helping them with it is only so bad.
6. Practicing medicine without a license. (10) you will almost certainly be harming someone with this one
7. Soliciting for prostitution.(5) people do stupid things...
8. Blowing up a building with people in it.(15) depriving people of life is the worst thing you can possibly do, that it includes people you don't know only makes it worse
9. Hitting your child.(?)this could be anywhere from one to ten depending on circumstance and degree.
10. Selling cocaine.(5) stupid people need ways to do stupid things, providing that help while wrong is nowhere near many of the other things
11. Manufacturing and selling cars known to have dangerous defects.(10-15) dependent on the circumstance.
12. Forcibly raping a former romantic partner or spouse.(9) only moderately more acceptable than raping someone in the park
13. Being drunk in public.(1)
14. Killing a person for a fee.(15)life for money? no balance should tip that way.
15. Conspiring to fix the prices of machines sold to businesses. (3) conspiring being the key word, acting on it would become worse

the reason for my rankings is that I hold life sacred and anyone who knowingly seeks to rob others of life is the worst possible crime. some things are illegal and on this list simply to get people in a position to act quickly should it be necessary. all are illegal and for good reason, but obviously are judged with regard to the acts committed.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:14 pm
1. Catching your spouse with a lover and killing them both :
15 - I think this is against the law because who's right is it to take the life of another? No one has that right but God, the Father. Also, why be upset with your spouse if it's what makes them happy?
2. Embezzling your employer's funds. :
7 - There are reasons for stealing the money, but they can be handled better then this.
3. Robbing a super market with a gun :
4 - Maybe it's just me, but it's not a big deal. Yes, you are threatening others' lives, but 90% of people who do this won't or can't shoot a gun.
4. Forcibly raping a stranger in a park :
15 - Just wrong in every way. You just destroyed a persons life.
5. Selling liquor to minors :
3 - meh, who cares anymore? They will get their hands on it. But you are aiding them in their life to ruin.
6. Practicing medicine without a license :
Between a 9 and 10 - Selling prescription drugs deserves a 10, because people can just go to a doctor to get them legally, also they may be addicted. But telling someone what medicines they should be taking for say... A cold is fine.
7. Soliciting for prostitution :
1 - Who's it hurting other then the marriage? Unless there are STD's, but STD's aren't illegal.
8. Blowing up a building with people in it :
13 definitely bad, killing lots of people all at once.
9. Hitting your child :
Spanking or beating?
Spanking? 1 - they need to be punished
Beating? -15 [I would say 50, but you said "serious/mature"] People who abuse children are sick and twisted. I believe they should die, but that's just my opinion.
10. Selling cocaine :
1 - again, who cares? Who's getting ripped off?
11. Manufacturing and selling cars known to have dangerous defects :
10 - Terrible, but not intent to kill or anything.
12. Forcibly raping a former romantic partner or spouse :
15 - Just wrong in every way. You just destroyed a persons life. [Yes, I did just copy and paste from number Four]
4 - Annoying, unhealthy, unprofessional, not dangerous for the most part.
14. Killing a person for a fee :
13 - Understandable if you need the money, but still wrong.
6 - Not hurting anyone, but not good for the businesses selling the machines.

DvnT

Britainian_Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:44 pm
This is very interesting considering the answers given. I was shocked to find that other than myself people found rape to be equal or greater than murder. Rape consists at most of torture and abuse for a few hours. Murder is depriving another person of every action they might have taken over the next 50-60 years that they might have had. I find this shocking to hear that some people can consider these equivalent.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:07 pm
Britainian_Knight
This is very interesting considering the answers given. I was shocked to find that other than myself people found rape to be equal or greater than murder. Rape consists at most of torture and abuse for a few hours. Murder is depriving another person of every action they might have taken over the next 50-60 years that they might have had. I find this shocking to hear that some people can consider these equivalent.

I don't think of it from the same point of view as you seem to. You look at it from the outside, a one time act that only effects people for this amount of time. I look at it and how it affects their lives.
The rape victim has to live with that for the rest of their life. Some people never recover from that feeling of violation and hurt. Others just withdraw themselves from the world entirely. Rape can cause people to commit suicide. Not to mention those who are actually tortured when something like this happens!
Murder victims... They get off easy in comparison. People will go wherever they believe in right there...

DvnT

Master Azrael Reaper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 am
1. Being drunk in public.
I choose this as least dangeous because your drunkeness may be angry, or it may be clumsy or it may be silly. so not necisarilly dangerous

2. Practicing medicine without a license.
practicing medicine without a license doesnt necicarilly mean you dont know what you are doing. i mean med school takes awhile so many may drop out, but know somewhat what they doing. some others may loos license because of doing controversal things like abortion or mercy killings. but still a decent doctor, just more willing to do thing society may not like.

3. Embezzling your employer's funds.
few larger businesses are not corrupt in their dealings. therefore, fore someone to take from them what they have played dirty to get, is not so bad in essence.

4. Selling liquor to minors.
many minors look much older than they are. so if you accidentally sell to them, not your fault. And if youdo sell to them intentionally, dont forget, it wasnt that far back history that it was perfectly legal for them to have it.

5. Conspiring to fix the prices of machines sold to businesses.
that sort of thing is common business practice with most all successful businesses.

6. Hitting your child.
you certainly shoul not be hitting kids all the time, but honestly, with some of these kids, its the only way to get the point across that you are the parent and the boss, not them. There are far too many loud obnoxious kids out there whose parents beg their kids to be good, instead of making them be good.

7. Selling cocaine.
It used to be a medical cure. it used to be the main ingredient in coca cola. Though it is still worse than marijuanna (which is also better for you than cigarettes, but you cant grow your own cigarettes.)

8. Soliciting for prostitution.
Prostitution is a business. A business that is frowned upon by some, but still a business. Much of the mistreatment involved is because they have to keep it underground due to illegality.

9. Robbing a super market with a gun.
You have the potential to kill, but not necisarily going to.
Thievery is not good. you should not hva e wat you have not earned.

10. Manufacturing and selling cars known to have dangerous defects.
Holds the potential to kill many ppl, though not gurenteed.

11. Forcibly raping a former romantic partner or spouse.
rape is bad, and id say it is on par with raping strangers, but i had to number them, so i chose this above strangers.

12. Forcibly raping a stranger in a park.
As i said rape is a terrible thing. sx is an act that should only be shared freely.

13. Killing a person for a fee.
You are killing one single person, gurenteed, rather than potentially killing like above examples, and you are doing the task to earn money. Thus it is worse than potential killings.

14. Catching your spouse with a lover and killing them both.
You are killing two people, not just one. and you are not doing the task to earn money, but simply out of your own selfish rage.
thus it is worse that killing 1 for money.

15. Blowing up a building with people in it.
You are killing many people, not just 1-2 people. and while they are largly potential deaths, with an entire building destroyed, you are just about gurenteed to have numrous deaths. Thus this one is worse than all other deaths on the list  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:24 pm
1 to 15, with 15 being the most serious, and 1 being the least serious

13 - I can understand that catching your spouse with someone can be quite hurtful emotionally. But killing the both of them? That's just way out of hand to do something like that.

7 - I'm sort of the fence on this one. If the minor had permission to buy the liquor, then I wouldn't consider such a bad thing. But selling liquor to a minor who doesn't have permission, then yeah, that's a bad thing.

9 - A dangerous thing to be doing, especially if something wrong happened. But I guess if someone was hurt or whatever and you were in environment where no doctor was available, then I guess I wouldn't consider it that big of a deal.

8 - I don't really know how I feel about this one... especially since some people use prostitution as a way of income. *shrugs*

9. Hitting your child.
12 - Hitting a child when they are innocent is a serious crime. Not only are you physically hurting them, but you're also emotionally and mentally hurting them. Sometimes hitting a child can cause major injuries or even death, in some circumstances.

10. Selling cocaine.
13 - Drugs are bad. Enough said.

9 - Sometimes cars are still sold despite several circumstances occurring where someone almost got hurt due to some problem or flaw. Mostly because sometimes it takes awhile for the manufacturers to replicate the circumstances. Also, the news may not have reached some car sellers, especially if they're not the big name car places. Maybe a home owner or private car seller isn't aware of the information.

12 - It doesn't matter whether you have had a relationship in the past or not. Forcing someone to have sex with you is a major crime.

5 - Sometimes things happen and that "just a couple drinks" because a whole lot more. As long as you don't drive, I don't consider it a major offense.

13 - For me it depends on the situation. If it's an assassin, then yeah, it's a major crime to do that. But what about the people that take part in killing a criminal for their death penalty? Or a military soldier? They're both killing a person for a fee... sort of. *shrugs*

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Gamma Goblin

Wheezing Sex Symbol

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:04 am
-15 this is just a stupid and unesscary evil
-7 as long as you dont kill people
-15 rape is unacceptable
-1 its not even bad
-5 as long as you dont ******** up and accidently kill someone
-1 i belive you can do what you want with your body
-15 thats not cool
9. Hitting your child.
-15 child abuse is not acceptable
10. Selling cocaine.
-1 dont see any harm
-5 i guess
-1 not that serious lol
depends on if the person desrves it or has it coming
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:04 am
15- murder is just wrong especially if its on purpose
7- not that huge of a crime but still wrong
8- theivery is low but at least no one is getting hurt
15- rape is just cruel
1- its their own fault if they want to waste their life
10- it can be poteintially dangerous
1- if someone wants to do that with their body thats their problem
15- to many people at risk and so is who ever owns the building
9. Hitting your child.
15- child abuse can permently scar a child for life
10. Selling cocaine.
1- its not really that different from selling cigarettes
14- it has the poteintial to kill people and whats worse is you know the cars have dangerous defects
15- rape is just cruel doesn't matter who your doing it to
1- meh
12- you never know if the person deserved it or not
1- meh  

Breaking The Skyline

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces