Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Anti-Twilight?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Ana The Tsundere-

5,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:21 pm
I just need peoples opinions.

NO FLAMING!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:43 pm
轻言细语 孔明

The land is united at last....No, the land was always as one....

This may seem like a flame post but it's not meant to be.

I am a real vampire, as in I am a Sanguinarian. I drink blood to sustain energy, Vampires are a very real culture of people, and Twilight has ruined that. There are thousands of girls and boys that claim they are vampires because it's cool. There has always been an ebb and flow with the fascination of vampires, but since Twilight became a series, and then a series of movies, literally thousands of boys and girls try to tell real vampires that they are wrong and that they're not vampires because they don't sparkle, or because they drink blood and vampires don't do that, or since we're not all pale white with orange eyes and barely any emotion that we must not be vampires. It honestly sickens me to know that an entire culture is being forced to stay quiet yet again because if we say what we are we'll have Twifags down our throats telling us we're not cause a book series says that vampires aren't like that, don't do that, don't look like that.

Like I said, not meant to be a flame post, even if it sounds that way.
It was man who has been divided....

DemonicAlistair

Sumimachine

Distinct Vampire

6,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:54 pm
It would've been cool if it wasn't for the sparkle thing... which is... so gay.
I read the books though, and watched the movies.

To DemonicAlistair: Are you for real??? confused

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:06 pm
kuroppoi_sumi
I read the books though, and watched the movies.

To DemonicAlistair: Are you for real??? confused
轻言细语 孔明

The land is united at last....No, the land was always as one....

Indeed I am, and the House I have some connections with has had a big problem with Twilight fans trying to join just because they think Twilight is how it really works. Vampirism isn't something to play around with, and a lot of these children rush into what they think they know, inherently getting themselves hurt.
It was man who has been divided....

DemonicAlistair

Chocobo Fluff

Noble Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:57 am
Well, I am anti-twilight bc all the book is literally trying to
say is "Fall in love with people for how they smell & what they
look like.. OH! and be anti-feminist"
Plus, I don't like vampires anyway- the creation of them was interesting though, which is if anyone is curious,
The legend supposedly goes that Cats would wander around
grave-yards, and supposedly cats were actually vessels of the devil or something- and the cat would go to a fresh grave
& put a lost soul or even the cats own soul into the newly deceased body, causing it
to be 'zombie like' & go out only at night and kill ppl, draining them of all their blood. Yep, cats FTW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:13 am
kuroppoi_sumi

The word 'gay' should not be used as an insult. That offends gay people. I'm one of those gay people.  

Corporal Maladict

delasislas

Friendly Gaian

18,675 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:46 pm
Corporal Maladict
kuroppoi_sumi

The word 'gay' should not be used as an insult. That offends gay people. I'm one of those gay people.

O.O you sparkle????
off topic
vampires have been changed from beasts of myth to a movie of absolute horror and awesomeness to movies of romance that is just wrong.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:11 pm
Corporal Maladict
kuroppoi_sumi

Thankyou Hilary Duff.

I'm Anti-Twilight. I'm a little Anti-Vampire because I don't want some guy chasing me down, or attempting any way to drink my blood. I don't hate them, I just don't want to be food. It's a bit hypocritical because I like zombies if only for the killing and such lol..  

MindxHunter

Minnta Aloripma

Dangerous Storyteller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:31 pm
I thought the first book was o.k. for a first try and she was trying to be different, but it should have been left as only one book. The other books just kept getting really annoying and stupid, and I noticed that Myer contradicts herself a lot.

Corporal Maladict
kuroppoi_sumi

The majority of my gay friends use the word gay as an insult. It really isn't that offensive.

Oh and a random fact: Gay is actually an old word for happy  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:19 pm
I'm anti-Twilight for a lot of reasons, the biggest of which is the horrible writing for both book series and movie series. I will give Meyer her props for putting an interesting twist on an old favorite: Vampire vs. werewolf/shapeshifter. I also give her props for using a Native American legend of tribes who could take the shapes of predators, but I take points away for not using the correct term: Walkers.

But the acting for the movies is utterly disgusting for anyone who calls themselves an actor, much less a professional actor, and that can be laid at the feet of 1. The actors themselves, and 2. The director, who has final say on finished product.

The "Sparkley!!" vampire bit I thought was contrived because she wrote herself into a hole with the vampires actually attending school in the daytime and needed a way out.

If she had incorporated more of actual vampire lore, it would have been better, along with using correct terminology. A half-vampire child is called a dhampir, and that is what Renesmee would be, as she was conceived by a human mother and vampire father.

The imprinting thing is just a little too creepy.

I also must say that I object the insane fans who took over the tweenage culture based on a inferior product, and the massive amount of money this ridiculous culture earns on a yearly basis.  

Flayre The Pyro Girl

Mimzelicious

Tipsy Smoker

10,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm
I'm both Anti-Twilight and Pro-Twilight (more anti than pro though)

I love the woman's ideas and plot and what not. Her writing and sometimes how she gets to the main point, is annoying. If someone else could have written it, I might actually enjoy reading the dang books.

I actually am one of the few who likes the idea of sparkles effect (though it's hard to take a "horrible beast" seriously when he's sparkling up the place XD) Maybe if she would've used a different effect like shines or something, it would be less of a joke to people.

A lot of people are upset because she doesn't use actual vampire lore, I also think that is fairly creative, it is after all, a fiction book and does not need to follow the standards of everyone else.

The movies... obviously... need at least a better Bella. And I'm not sure why but I was browsing the video store the other day and noticed that someone casted her in another (newer) movie. After all of the bad critiques she has and her emotionless acting, I have no idea how she keeps getting cast.

Another random movie fact: Jacob (or more of the guy that plays him) can take off his shirt all he wants, Edward (again, actual person) needs to keep the dang thing on.

Edit:: Also, the phrase "His smile didn't reach his eyes" really needs to die. I was literally in the middle of class when I read that for the fourth time in one book and screamed a little. Which may be why that teacher thinks I'm a little weird, but that's not the point.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:57 pm
I personally think the series is written much like a cheap paperback romance novella that you can find in the discount bin at your local Barnes and Noble. It just happened to be advertised to the right demographic, a group who weren't allowed to read "mommy's special love books" yet, and they ate it up like a pregnant woman devourers pickles and ice cream.

Coming from a cinematic background myself (I have a bachelors degree in video production and currently work as a videographer), I would have to say that the movies were bland on several levels. The pace drags along unnecessarily slowly, the acting reminds me of a community theater nightmare, the romantic atmosphere has all the fizzle of a gallon of plain yogurt, the creative shots are lackluster at best, the music reminds me more of clinical depression than it does of love and longing, and the effects really aren't anything to write home about. The only thing I did like about it was the color scheme and some of the lighting.

I'd say the only good thing that came out of this cinematic tweenage wet dream is the Rifftrax, which can be downloaded here: http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/twilight (And believe me, it's well worth your money, even if you are not a Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan!) For a better example of what I'm talking about for free, check this out on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2T6oMfI9Ro God love these guys!

Something else I just don't get about this series, why in the name of God didn't she go for the mechanically competent guy? I know he was the werewolf, but he knows how to fix a damn car, knows AND gets along with your family, and has more personality that the emo disco ball who's been stalking you from afar. Where the hell is your brain girl...

Another good point comes from MovieBob from the Escapist Magazine's home page. I'd talk more about it, but I think Bob here smacked that nail in better than I could: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1839-The-Twilight-Saga-Eclipse

Just my two cents.
IEditYourWorld  

IEditYourWorld

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:52 pm
I'm going to ignore the person claiming to be a vampire because that's ridiculous, and then I'm going to remind you all that there is a book subforum.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:13 pm
I can handle the sparkle thing (for what it's worth, it's a twist on why vampires aren't day creatures), but the baby thing threw me off. I think that needed to not happen. It seemed like a desperate ploy to keep Jacob in the story. Imprinting is one thing, but imprinting on eggs is really too far and creepy. It makes periods out to be abortions (considering it may not have been fertilized, and where would it all be?)  

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items