Advice, please?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emu Avian

Lucky Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:22 pm
Okay, I completely spaced on the title, I know, but this is an important issue for me. Actually, I have two that I need help on, you can choose whichever to respond to.

I'm an artist and a musician and am in a bit of a rut right now. The main reason for being in a rut is looking at other people's example and feeling horrid about my own for it, because it's not as good. I always want to get better, and better, and better, and better, and better, and better, and better, and better, and better, and better, and it's driving me MAD! I don't know how to deal with this, and my self image anymore. I've heard that I shouldn't base my own skill off of others', but it's so difficult to fight human nature, and I don't want to be horrible and oblivious. I've heard I should take a break, but drawing and playing my instruments are the only ways I can vent anymore (See issue 2, if you want more details on that).If I gave them up, I'd be even worse off. But I want to be good so badly I can taste it, and a drive like this is damaging when you can't seem to move forward. So how do I get out of this stupid rut, without having to completely remodel my entire life viewpoints?

Issue 2:

As you might have seen if you read issue 1, I can't really vent anymore other than through the work of art and music. But, way back when, that wasn't true; I had singing to help me, and I miss it a lot. I got scared of singing after being laughed at in class for singing, and being told I had a horrible voice by one of my friends. I want to sing again, and sing as loud as I can, and feel alive like that again, but I'm horribly afraid to. Can someone please tell me how I can sing without being heard, or get past my fear?

Thank you to any and all who reply, and no advice will be chastised, except those weird people who spam things like this for no reason. stare But please post if you have any advice! Thank you!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:11 pm
Infiniti Avian

So how do I get out of this stupid rut, without having to completely remodel my entire life viewpoints?

Can someone please tell me how I can sing without being heard, or get past my fear?

Issue 1:
Omg, I know exactly how you feel. What I've been doing is buying some books on how to draw (right now just chibis because it seems easier) I look at the pictures and try a few and then twist some new chibis with my style just a little bit. As I progress, I add my own style more and more until it I'm satisfied with it's look and the difficulty to create it. You could try that as I've noticed I get better, obviously not as good as others, but it keeps getting better everytime. Try starting a shop as well after experimenting with different things. When you get customers it makes you feel a lot better because you know other people like your art.

Issue 2:
First of all, people (whether they're friends or not) sometimes say things out of jealousy. I learned that in middle school from two "great" friends. If you don't feel confident in yourself to sing around other people (as I often don't in this house cuz everyones tone deft and likes to make fun of me for EVERYTHING), sing in the shower or alone at home. If you have a car, blast music and sing as loud as you want while you drive! >w< That's my favorite thing to do in the car. XD  

Mimzelicious

Tipsy Smoker

10,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Pet Lover 100

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:06 am
Issue 1;
Artists are always wanting to get better. Believe me, I am not the best, but I have recently gotten back in to my art and it makes me feel really good. I look at others' work and then I make my own using their techniques and all. I take what I learned from them and apply it to my own. I really think that would be great for you. Learn from others. Develope your style off of what you learn from others. I love seeing all the different styles and applying them to my own pieces. And like Mimzelicious said, books are great. They teach you the fundamentals of drawing.

Issue 2;
That friend was probably jealous. There are a lot of people out there that need to put others down to make themselves feel better. If you feel you do not sing well then possibly take some singing lessons. Comming from someone who went from a Saprano 1 to an Alto, it sucks. I used to be able to sing anything, until my teacher told me to sing when I had a sore throat. It messed up my voice bad. But I'm still working on it. Singing lessons would really be the best idea. Or build your confidence back up by singing to music in your room or car or where ever. Just sing like no one is listening, like the famous quote goes.

On a side note, my husband is majorly tone deaf. But he sings to everything infront of everyone. I'm the one who is uncomfortable, but why? If he is not phased by the odd looks then why should I be? I have gotten over his tone deafness and it has made things easier.

"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games