Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:51 am
On Wednesday, I get to start applying for NASA's summer internships and I'm super stoked about it! biggrin

At first I wasn't even going to try, because I thought the GPA requirement was way higher than it actually is. Turns out, it's only a 3.0, and I've already got that. And they've got tons of opportunities for CE majors, a LOT more than I anticipated, so I feel like I might actually have a decent shot at it.

Granted, I won't know until at least March on whether or not I get in, but still.

I don't even care if they ship me all the way to fiery hell California; I want this bad enough that I'd learn to adapt or melt in the process, haha. lol  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:13 am
Awesome and hey if they did send you the summer state of CA, you might be able to meet some of us in the Guild that live here in CA.  

Kor Saiyajinkami

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:44 pm
Kor Saiyajinkami
Awesome and hey if they did send you the summer state of CA, you might be able to meet some of us in the Guild that live here in CA.

Yeah, that's something I thought of, too. I'd love to meet a lot of you guys someday, it's just such a crazy long trip to take without a major reason. But NASA is definitely a major reason. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:49 pm
Hiddochi wolf
Kor Saiyajinkami

Yeah, that's something I thought of, too. I'd love to meet a lot of you guys someday, it's just such a crazy long trip to take without a major reason. But NASA is definitely a major reason. xd

That it is. That it is. xd  

Kor Saiyajinkami

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:11 pm
Hiddochi wolf
On Wednesday, I get to start applying for NASA's summer internships and I'm super stoked about it! biggrin

At first I wasn't even going to try, because I thought the GPA requirement was way higher than it actually is. Turns out, it's only a 3.0, and I've already got that. And they've got tons of opportunities for CE majors, a LOT more than I anticipated, so I feel like I might actually have a decent shot at it.

Granted, I won't know until at least March on whether or not I get in, but still.

I don't even care if they ship me all the way to fiery hell California; I want this bad enough that I'd learn to adapt or melt in the process, haha. lol

Which part of Cali are you going to? It's not all a giant firey inferno from hell. Mostly just the part that I happen to live on.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:20 pm
wolf_with_a_dragon
Hiddochi wolf

Which part of Cali are you going to? It's not all a giant firey inferno from hell. Mostly just the part that I happen to live on.

It would depend entirely on which center they send me to, if they'd even send me to one of the Cali ones (and IF I get the internship period -- that's the biggest factor first, haha). But out of the potential centers in Cali, there's one in Moffett Field, one in Edwards, and one in Pasadena.

Otherwise, the rest of the centers are in Texas, Alabama, Ohio, New York, Florida, Mississippi, Maryland, Virginia, Louisiana, and Washington DC. Ohio or New York would be nice for the closeness factor, but Florida could be a lot of fun. Like I said though -- I'd go ANYWHERE if it meant I could work for NASA. razz  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:51 pm
But I mean, everyone from Cali would probably just KNOW if I ended up there, because the instant I step out into the sunlight there'd be this radiant white aura that blinds everyone who beholds it. rofl

I swear, I'm whiter than paper. My boyfriend legit couldn't tell I was wearing white tights with my Halloween costume; he actually thought it was just my skin color. LOL Most of you guys are probably decently tan, and here the Midwesterner would show up and blind everyone with her paleness. razz  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:17 pm
Hiddochi wolf
wolf_with_a_dragon
Hiddochi wolf

It would depend entirely on which center they send me to, if they'd even send me to one of the Cali ones (and IF I get the internship period -- that's the biggest factor first, haha). But out of the potential centers in Cali, there's one in Moffett Field, one in Edwards, and one in Pasadena.

Otherwise, the rest of the centers are in Texas, Alabama, Ohio, New York, Florida, Mississippi, Maryland, Virginia, Louisiana, and Washington DC. Ohio or New York would be nice for the closeness factor, but Florida could be a lot of fun. Like I said though -- I'd go ANYWHERE if it meant I could work for NASA. razz

This is true. I really hope you get accepted. You work way too hard and are way too smart not to be. As for the locations in California, the closest one to where I live is Pasadena, and that's still at least a good four hour drive from where I am, chances are you won't be seeing me.

Holy crap that's a lot of places they could end up shipping you off to. If they're possibly going to send you off that far away for part time slavery, will they at least pay for your travel fares, or do you have to come up with those funds yourself?  

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:19 pm
Hiddochi wolf
But I mean, everyone from Cali would probably just KNOW if I ended up there, because the instant I step out into the sunlight there'd be this radiant white aura that blinds everyone who beholds it. rofl

I swear, I'm whiter than paper. My boyfriend legit couldn't tell I was wearing white tights with my Halloween costume; he actually thought it was just my skin color. LOL Most of you guys are probably decently tan, and here the Midwesterner would show up and blind everyone with her paleness. razz

This made me cringe just a little bit because it made me think of the vampires from Twilight. Sorry, just had to bring that up.

Although, I don't think it would be that bad. My step-mom is pretty damn pale. We like to joke around and say she's so white she's transparent. I think we enjoy that joke more than she does. She came down to Cali once, she didn't go around blinding everyone, though that could be because all the light phased through her and her transparency...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:25 am
OMG that's so COOL. That'd be an awesome internship; I hella hope you get it!  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:46 am
wolf_with_a_dragon

This is true. I really hope you get accepted. You work way too hard and are way too smart not to be. As for the locations in California, the closest one to where I live is Pasadena, and that's still at least a good four hour drive from where I am, chances are you won't be seeing me.

Holy crap that's a lot of places they could end up shipping you off to. If they're possibly going to send you off that far away for part time slavery, will they at least pay for your travel fares, or do you have to come up with those funds yourself?

Thanks, wolf. biggrin I dunno, there are a hell of a lot of others with higher GPAs and more programming experience than me out there who are probably going to apply, too, which is a large part of why I wasn't going to try originally. But one of my professors kinda nudged me to do it, because he brought up the fact that just because there are a lot of talented people doesn't mean they'll all try for it. Just like how I was, there are probably a lot of them who aren't even going to try because they have doubts. And it's true. The worst thing they can do is say no, and I can just try again next year. I'll get in someday, of that I have no doubts, it's just a matter of whether or not the universe wants to give me the easier way.
Ah, so I'm guessing you're further north? Knowing me, once I'm in a new state, I'm gonna want to explore the whole damn thing in my off time, so you never quite know if I'll end up in the area at one point. xd

I'm not sure about travel compensation; it's not explicitly stated anywhere. I'm going to assume that I'd have to fund it myself, but since they're a federal agency, I wouldn't doubt it if they did compensate in some way. My dad works for a different federal agency, and the government pays for all of his travel 100% if they have to send him anywhere, including food costs. We also get crazy good health insurance because of his job (even the pharmacists are impressed with how cheap our medicines end up being compared to everyone else's), so the government takes good care of its workers and their families. Another reason I'd love to have an actual career at NASA -- government benefits on top of it being my lifelong dream! Hehe  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:18 pm
Zphal
OMG that's so COOL. That'd be an awesome internship; I hella hope you get it!

Thanks, Z. smile I hope so, too!  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:25 pm
Hiddochi wolf
Knowing me, once I'm in a new state, I'm gonna want to explore the whole damn thing in my off time, so you never quite know if I'll end up in the area at one point. xd

You'll have to come ride the coasters at Great America. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:28 pm
Hiddochi wolf
The worst thing they can do is say no, and I can just try again next year. I'll get in someday, of that I have no doubts, it's just a matter of whether or not the universe wants to give me the easier way.

Yup. Never hurts to try! I'm gonna be urging my not-quite-boyfriend in the same direction in his field. He's going back to school this spring to get on the Computer Science degree he wants, and there's tons of places where he could internship here in Silicon Valley. Just need to get his foot in the door. smile  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers