Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:48 am
I got the Academic Excellence Junior in Computer Engineering award at the department banquet last night, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that even happened. eek

Compared to most engineering students, my GPA is subpar (3.0 is "average", 3.5 or higher is "good," 3.8+ is award-worthy. I've got a 2.9). Normally, that award is reserved for the person with the highest GPA in their year, which makes it all the more confusing because I can think of several others I'm pretty sure have higher GPAs than I do.

When they called out my name, I just kinda sat there dumbfounded for a moment and my professor had to be like "yeah, YOU. Get up here!" lol  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:05 pm
Could it be maybe some of the things you did for Computer Engineering were spectacular, but didn't influence your grade enough to award you a higher GPA? Off the top of my head that's the only think I can think of that might be why you got it.  

Kor Saiyajinkami

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:14 pm
Is there a recording of this? I wish to see a dumbstruck hiddo. Maybe they finally recognized gpa isn't everything and you're just a badass. And congrats on the reward!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:39 am
wolf_with_a_dragon
Is there a recording of this? I wish to see a dumbstruck hiddo. Maybe they finally recognized gpa isn't everything and you're just a badass. And congrats on the reward!

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone took a video. I know pictures were taken of all four of us standing with our awards after everyone was announced, but that's about it.

I was talking to one of my friends last night about it, and she seems to think that while that award usually tends to go to the students with the highest GPA, that's not actually what it's for. Her ex boyfriend won that same award last year for electrical engineering, and his grades aren't exactly top notch either. She says it's more of a "who works their a** off the most" kind of award, which makes a lot more sense. I basically live in the CE lab this year. xd

And thanks! emotion_yatta  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:21 am
Congratulations! That's quite epic! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:44 pm
Hiddochi wolf
wolf_with_a_dragon

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone took a video. I know pictures were taken of all four of us standing with our awards after everyone was announced, but that's about it.

I was talking to one of my friends last night about it, and she seems to think that while that award usually tends to go to the students with the highest GPA, that's not actually what it's for. Her ex boyfriend won that same award last year for electrical engineering, and his grades aren't exactly top notch either. She says it's more of a "who works their a** off the most" kind of award, which makes a lot more sense. I basically live in the CE lab this year. xd

And thanks! emotion_yatta

Dang, that would have been awesome to see.

Well, glad to know that hard work does in deed get rewarded, even if it isn't in the form or a grade. You deserved that award.  

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:26 pm
Most of the excellence awards goes to people who have done enough work that they've stood out in the professor's minds. It's not specifically influenced by grades/GPA. It just happens that most receivers of such awards happen to have high grades/GPAs.

Anyway... CONGRATS!  
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff