Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Skepty
Vice Captain

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:26 am
As I make my second questionably-triumphant return back to Why Not, I have to take some time to reflect on why, perhaps, I ghosted away on my prior attempt. The best I can figure is, perhaps, after such a long period away, I no longer felt like I knew anybody, and couldn't be bothered to put the effort in to fixing that.

It won't be any easier for me this time around, but screw it. I'm at least going to try.

Welcome to the Member Spotlight! I plan on this being a semi-regular feature where I take some time with a guild member who's still hanging around these parts, and have ask some interview-style questions to understand who they are and what they've got going on in their lives. Afterwards, I'll post the exchange—with the member's full approval—for the enjoyment of all you guys. Anybody who's willing will be fair game!

I decided to kick this off with Prof. Moonie, who, in my book, had the biggest discrepancy of guild activity versus what I actually knew about her. Moonie was gracious enough to be my guinea pig on this mad experiment, and she gets my heartfelt appreciation for being such a willing participant. Seriously, guys, round of virtual applause.

Plus, in the process of all this, I learned SO MUCH about cosplay, which I consider a bonus.

And now, the full interview. If there are any questions I forgot to ask, you should feel free to ask them yourself down below!

Quote:

What name do you go by offline?

Christine

Age or age range? General location?

I'll be 30 in June. I live in the Pacific Northwest.

What’s the story behind the username?

It started off as a shortened version of the name of one of my original characters. Over time, it got connected to some of my other interests as well. "Moonie" is the term for a Sailor Moon fan. Many people mistake it as a reference to Professor Lupin from the Harry Potter series (who had the nickname "Moony" ).

How long have you been with the guild? What has kept you coming back over the years? Are there any members you feel like you’re close to?

Quite awhile. I actually don't know when I actually joined... but it wasn't too long before I created my "Moonie's Ramblings" thread.

I've continued to come back because of the people I've come to befriend and I enjoy the intellectual level of our conversations (whether its serious or silly). Why Not is like intellectual talk while Gaia forums is like small talk; I can't stand small talk.

Zphal, Mama Ame, and Suicidal Skittles are the main members I've gotten quite close to. In fact, we've extended our friendship over into Facebook.

...Intellectual level? That can't possibly be right. But your words, not mine. So why do you think there is a difference? Are the folks in Why Not simply smarter? (The answer, of course, is yes)

Well, we do have older generations among our members than what is typically found out in the main forums. So... there is some difference there.

I think there's difference too because the folks around here actually enjoy talking with each other, like friends hanging out. Where as most people in the main forums are typically mindlessly posting. There might be some camaraderie for a period of time (such as event forums or RPs)... but eventually something changes and the people go off on their way. *shrugs*

Do you have any favorite guild memories?

There's too many to choose from. Our guild events were pretty fun though.

Have to talk about "Moonie’s Ramblings" thread. Going strong since 2010, and nearing 2000 pages of posts (30,000!) containing whatever ideas, musings, or images you happen to feel like sharing during the day. What made you start it? Why put it in the COS, as opposed to, perhaps, the WNB? What do you get out of the thread, and is the same thing you got out of it when you started it? Do other people ever engage with you there, or do you feel like it goes largely ignored?

I think I originally started it as a place where I could post whatever was on my mind while being able to earn gold to go towards my quests of certain items. Though over time I stopped caring about the monetary aspect because the items I was wanting just kept rising beyond my meager amount earned or there weren't even any being sold.

I don't even remember the WNB subforum existing when I created my thread... and based on the stickies, it looks like it was created around the same time I was creating the thread. Plus I don't really see my thread as being like a blog or journal. It's just.... it's like a virtual bulletin board. I post random thoughts of the day, whether it's about what's going on in my life at the time or random findings I've thought about or came across. Or just random images that caught my eye. Or just needing a place to keep track of an URL for a website I want to go back to when I'm not able to e-mail it to myself at the time.

Okay, I got you. Do you ever go back through it, either out of curiosity, or to look for something from years ago?

I have done it a couple times when I'm having "writer's block" on what to post. So I went back and made comments on some of the things I posted in the past.

Are there any other guilds or people/places on Gaia you would like to shout out?

I don't adventure outside of Why Not anymore these days. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't find the same level of intellectual talk and camaraderie like we have here in Why Not in the main forums or other guilds. Not to mention, some of the other guilds I was in - RP focused - pretty much died within a year of me joining because of inactivity.

What about other websites? Are there any hidden gems out there, or other sites you enjoy, that others probably haven’t heard of?

I always have to give a shoutout to JoEllen Elam of Firefly Path (www.fireflypath.com) for her amazing fantastical costume/wedding dress/etc. commissions she does. I've been following her from the days she was just a cosplayer who did a few commissions on the side to transforming into a fantastical costume designer. If there was any one I looked to as inspiration for my own cosplay, it would be her.

For web comics, I have to give a shoutout to M. Victoria Robado a.k.a. Shouri (www.shourimajo.com). We've been online acquaintances for a long time - even before I joined Gaia. Many of her comics like Springette and #Blessed are absolutely fantastic.

I also have to give a shoutout to a recent find: Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe (https://www.webtoons.com/en/romance/lore-olympus/list?title_no=1320). She's taken the mythological tale of Persephone and Hades and created a modern take on it. The color schemes are fantastic and attention to symbolism details is amazing.

Do you feel like who you are on Gaia is an accurate representation of who you are offline? If not, what’s the difference?

I'm pretty much the same both online and offline. Probably the only difference is I probably come off as more outgoing or talkative than I am in real life. *shrugs*

Would you like to share a picture of yourself, and/or a personal photo of something that is cool or meaningful to you?

User Image

You’re about to get dressed for the day. What’s your go-to outfit?

Depends on the day and whether I'm working/volunteering. If I'm volunteering at our local animal shelter, it's a T-shirt and jeans. If I'm working at the theater, it's our required uniform. If I'm working at the assisted living, it's usually some dressy shirt and dress pants. sweatdrop

What’s an average day in the life of Moonie like?

Again... depends on the day.

Well, let's take any work or other obligations for granted. What are you usually doing in your off time? What hours are you keeping? What do you usually eat for breakfast?

What is this "days off" you speak of? neutral Haha... I'm kidding. But seriously it feels like forever since I truly had a day I could relax and not worry about when I'm working next.

Typically I like to relax with reading or catching up on any of my favorite shows. If the weather is nice, I might go for a walk. Maybe I'll meet up with friends, depending on what their schedules are like.

Hours I'm keeping? Again, all depends on when I'm working. If I don't work until later in the day, then I'll sleep in. Otherwise, I won't stay up too late, so I can make sure I get enough hours of sleep before I head off to work. Assisted living is a fixed 8 AM - 5 PM but the theater fluctuates depending on what position I'm assigned to and what movies we've got playing.

Breakfast? Cereal. Special K Fruit and Yogurt, to be exact.

What’s your living situation? Are you satisfied with it? How about work?

Currently living with my parents but hopefully that will be changing soon.

I work at a movie theater and as receptionist at an assisted living; then volunteer a couple days (for a few hours) at the local animal shelter. Movie theater has its days. I am hoping to find something else to replace it - something that has more consistent hours and better pay. I enjoy the assisted living job though there are times I wish I wasn't having to work the weekends there because everything seems to take place on the weekends. xp Love volunteering at the animal shelter. I would hate for the day I would have to give it up because it doesn't coordinate with any other schedules.

Life can be tough sometimes. How are you doing? Is everything okay?

I'm doing pretty good considering. At times I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster, trying to keep track of what am I doing and where I'm going. Slowly getting a hold on my life again. It'll take time... but I'll get there eventually.

Are there any personal challenges you're struggling with, or have recently overcome?

Being an introvert working in two customer service-oriented jobs where I'm essentially the first person people interact with? I think that's a pretty significant hurtle to have overcome.

All the normal jobs are taken, and you’re going to have to rely on one of your current hobbies or other skills to earn an income. Regardless of how feasible this might actually be, what is your new career?

If it was becoming an author, that would be the dream career. Otherwise, I would do something surrounding my cosplay skills.

What other hobbies or activities would you be interested in pursuing if you had more time, money, etc.?

I would love to engage in more D&D. I've only played a few one-shots at either cons I've attended or with friends. But I haven't been able to join anything long-term because my work schedules aren't always reliable (in coordination with others') on a consistent day to meet.

The bartender approaches. “What can I get for you tonight?”

Honestly, it depends on what's on the menu. I tend to gravitate towards any ciders or delicious sounding cocktails/mixed drinks (i.e. Moscow Mule).

Celebrity crush, because we're all still in high school?

All-time favorite is Benedict Cumberbatch.
Current is Ethan Peck.

Before we start wrapping things up, I want to ask you this: What is something I haven't asked you about yet that you think I need to know about you?

My avi outfits tend to gravitate towards fantastical themes or "cosplay" as certain characters from fandoms I'm obsessing over at the time. Of course cats and astrological themed items can make an appearance as well. Earthy tones seem to be the general color scheme among my inventory items (not counting event items).

Perfect. So let's go into cosplay some more, since it's something you've alluded to a couple times now. It seems fairly safe to assume that, in addition to outfitting your avatar, you cosplay characters yourself.

Yes, I've been cosplaying unofficially for 20 years and officially 6 years. What I mean by that is, while I was dressing up as specific characters, it wasn't until 6 years ago I officially started calling myself a cosplayer (and attended my first con as well). It was also the first time where I hand-sewed my first costume rather than doing a "closet cosplay" (putting together a look utilizing items from your own wardrobe with little to no purchases).

What do you enjoy about cosplaying? Do you think that, for you, it's more about the creativity that goes into constructing and assembling an outfit, or is that a necessary evil that must be taken to showcase your efforts?

I'm still a novice when it comes to sewing, so I don't worry too much about "showing off" right now like some others do. Like I haven't participated in any cosplay contests or anything. I think just being able to take a character's outfit and go through the creative process of figuring out how to achieve it in a manageable task, complete it, and then see the delight in others' faces when they see it is exciting. Plus with some of these cosplays, I've been dreaming since a little girl that I wanted to "dress up" like them... so being able to achieve that is awesome.

What was your first cosplay, and what made you decide to do it?

My very first "cosplay" was Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz; it was my Halloween costume for the year. Most of the costumes I did in between were Harry Potter themed, Olivia (and Fauxlivia) Dunham from Fringe, and a couple Doctor Who themed ones. My first official cosplay costume was my own interpretation of Sailor Venus. She is one of my favorite senshi and since I was attending an anime convention, it seemed suiting to do her.

What has been your favorite, or the one you're proudest of?

Sailor Venus will always have a special place in my heart because she was my first handmade costume. Codex (from the web series The Guild), "Day of the Moon" River Song, and "Battle Dress" Queen Amidala (technically it's Sabe wearing it while disguised as Amidala - from Star Wars: The Phantom Menance) are a few others I'm really proud of because I was replicating their looks by using various bits and parts of several patterns to achieve the final look. Plus the former two allowed me to try out prop creations too - Codex's staff and River Song's Sonic Blaster. My various Keyleth (from the web series Critical Role) outfits are special to me too because it was my first time making headdresses.

Were there any that you had to give up on half-finished or just never got around to completing?

Oh, I've got quite a few unfinished cosplays. My "Spring" Keyleth is partly finished - I've completed her headdress but still have yet to make her actual outfit. "Battle Dress" Amidala is complete except for the hair headdress portion. Then of course there's a few that I've bought items where I was like "Oh, this would be perfect for doing a so-and-so." Like I bought some ankle boots that reminded me a lot of Daryl Dixon's (from Walking Dead); still have yet to do a Fem!Daryl... but they did make great shoes for my cosbound version of Doctor Strange. (("Cosbound," if you are unfamiliar with the term, is where you take color schemes and elements of a character and create an everyday outfit utilizing them. Most people are familiar with Disney bounding. Difference between "cosbound" and "cosplay"? Cosplay is where you are dressing exactly like the character... and typically not something you would wear for an everyday occasion. Cosbound is something you can wear anywhere while still giving a shoutout to said character.)) Finally, "Autumn" Keyleth was one I almost gave up in a rage fit. I was having so many issues with that costume. When I was sewing it and trying it on for size, it seemed like everything was working out perfectly (especially with it being created from a simple pattern). But then the day I planned on wearing it for an occasion, it ended up being too big and not fitting the way it had been when I was sewing it. It was probably a year or so before I returned to it and modified it. It's still not perfect... but I got it to a point that I was comfortable wearing it.

Of course I've got a whole list of characters I would love to cosplay should I ever have the opportunity to do so. Or other versions of characters I've already done.

"Cosbound" is a completely new term to me, but I'm glad to have learned the difference. Now, you said that you don't participate in contests or anything of the sort, which is understandable given the high caliber of cosplays that professionals have the skills and resources to set. But you do wear your creations to conventions, I assume, and I have to guess that there can be quite a wide array of quality by all who participate. Do you see a professional-grade cosplay as intimidating or inspiring? Is the community very supportive or competitive? If not, how would you describe it?

Yes, a majority of my cosplays I've worn to conventions. A few I've worn to work functions (such as Harvest Parties at the assisted living or movie releases at the theater).

The level of cosplay skills definitely range from novice to expert. Regardless, everyone can pull something from each other's costumes, whether it's being educated on simple ways of designing an aspect of a particular costume or just being inspired to add a particular character to your cosplay dream list. Some can be a bit intimidating when some cosplayers use techniques you've never tried before (i.e. worbla) or a costume requires more time and materials than what you currently have the ability to handle.

The cosplay community is completely supportive. Whether it's complementing on someone's costume, regardless of skill level, or helping out with those unfortunate costume mishaps (which will always happen regardless of how well you've put everything together). Plus we're supportive outside of costume wise as well. If someone is having an anxiety attack, feeling down, or just trying to avoid that one creepy dude that just won't take an obvious hint, others will do whatever they can to help that person out. Not to mention, for some of us, we were teased for our geeky interests during our childhood and overtime kept said interests secret ((I can confirm this as I was one such individual)); so being able to attend conventions and other related events where we can find other like-minded people who embrace the same interests and have no judgements on how far we'll take said interests is amazing. For me, once I started attending conventions, I realized I no longer needed to be afraid of enjoying the things I liked and could embrace it as much as I wanted. If others thought it was weird, then that was their problem not mine. Felicia Day's song "Now I'm The One That's Cool" totally fits this idea.

All right, I think that's a pretty good note to end on. Just one more question: who would you like to see in the Spotlight next?

Zphal

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:22 pm
Just wanna say, a Fem!Daryl would indeed be awesome. biggrin

Also, Skepty, super awesome concept! I'll prepare for my spotlight... lol  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:05 am
Zphal

I've got the boots and the official foam dart version of Daryl's crossbow. It's just a matter of putting the rest of the look together. xd  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:10 am
Officially Skepty
I decided to kick this off with Prof. Moonie, who, in my book, had the biggest discrepancy of guild activity versus what I actually knew about her. Moonie was gracious enough to be my guinea pig on this mad experiment, and she gets my heartfelt appreciation for being such a willing participant. Seriously, guys, round of virtual applause.

If there are any questions I forgot to ask, you should feel free to ask them yourself down below!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You're welcome. It was a lot of fun.

And yes, bring on the follow-up questions! biggrin  

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:27 am
Prof. Moonie
Zphal

I've got the boots and the official foam dart version of Daryl's crossbow. It's just a matter of putting the rest of the look together. xd

Like dat vest. @w@  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:36 am
This was fun to read!  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:56 am
Zphal
Prof. Moonie
Zphal

Like dat vest. @w@

I have a set of Supernatural-themed pajamas that are Castiel themed and have the wings on the back of the shirt. Definitely plan on using that as my reference for making the wings for Daryl's vest.  
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:06 pm
Mama Ame
This was fun to read!

I concur. *monacle*  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!