Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
World Trade Center -> Freedom Tower

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

User_2961583

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:56 pm
I don't know how many of you have heard about it, but the World Trade Center destroyed in the September 11th terrorist attacks is being rebuilt. It will be 1,772 feet tall, and will be called the "Freedom Tower" (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193326,00.html). It's supposedly going to be ready in 2011. Do you think this is a good thing to motivate people, or just a way of saying "Nya nya, we made another tower. In your FACE, Terrorists!"?

On another note about the World Trade Center, there's a movie out now called "Flight 93" (http://www.aetv.com/flight_93/index.jsp). It's about the last plane that the Terrorists were planning to crash into the Pentagon, seriously crippling the United States. Many people are controversal about this movie, saying that it's an insult to those who were on that flight. Other say that it honors them. I'd like to know your opinion.

Discussion topics are blatently obvious.  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:18 am
I wouldn't really know anything about the second point, except that I've heard of it but not heard anything else about it...

the first point...personally I don't think it's such a good idea, I think that's because of the name they've given it...the Freedom Tower just gives terrorists an incentive to knock it down again...it's like..."ok it got knocked down, lets build another...so it can be knocked down...and we'll build another..and so on and so forth"...to build another tower might be showing defiance but it's also showing that have the people actually learned anything?  

Shadow__Dweller

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:31 pm
Basically, the Tower is being built as a morale booster to the American people, meant to represent all the values of the country, confused as they are. It is being built under the assumption that our security is tight enough to stop/prevent any terrorist attacks from knocking it down. Also, I'm sure that if it did indeed get attacked, we'd just build an even bigger one as a testament to the diligence and stubbornness of America. And if you go along with the conspiracy theory that the US government was behind 9/11, then you can be pretty sure they won't let another attack happen until another President (one they don't like) is in office and screws up.

As for the 9/11 moive, it is my personal belief that the whole thing is a big load of bullshit. They say they're donating 10% of the profits to the victims families, why not 50? 60? All of it? Hollywood's run out of ideas for movies and now has found a way to cash in on patriotism. People will be compelled to say they liked it in fear of being called un-American or disrespectful to the victims' memories. I'll probably see it once, when it comes out on DVD and I can pirate it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:14 pm
First off, I believe the tower to boost people's morales. Unless of course, the goverment was really that stupid and childish to build it out of spite. Plus, that'd be pretty f*cked up if they did. If not, then it is a good thing. It unites the people of this country and shows that we, in fact, are strong.

And secondly, I recently saw Flight 93 and absolutely loved it. And I must say, anyone who bashes this film before seeing it needs to see it. It was an amazing film, I thought. EXTREMELY POWERFUL AND AFFECTIVE! Seriously, everyone should see it because it actually does depict the courage of the people on that flight. It may be a bit Hollywoodized when it comes to money matters like dboyzero was talking about but it is still a very good film to see. Plus, no doubt that somewhere in that film you will shed a tear. I did. Everyone did.

So go see it, please. It is definitely worth the money to see it on the big screen.  

loli-poo

Domo-Kun Chan

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:57 pm
I don't know, I see building another building as a sign that we've moved on. Yes, it was horrible, yes, many people died, but we're strong and we're not going to let something like that get us down forever. You have to keep thinking about the future, so, I think it is a good move.

As for the movie, I haven't seen it, but it reminds me of the Passion of the Christ, if you don't see it, you're not Christian. Therefore, if you don't see this movie, you're a Communist!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:17 am
although it doesn't really seem to be going up, rebuilding the twin towers seems like, to me, we're putting a giant target on the country. we don't need to do things to repeat history like that.
i haven't seen the movie, and it's been out for a while. just not much of a movie person. no comment there  

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

xXx suicidal_skittles xXx

5,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:50 am
I agree with SchizoSpazz, It would be like putting a giant target sign on america. I mean if the terrorists did it one time, whats gunna stop them from doing it again?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:40 pm
To the first question, I think it's the first. For the people it's a "We're gonna make it. We'll get through this tragedy we had." It is a moral booster for the entire country.

To the second I saw "Flight 93". I see the movie more as a tribute to the people on that the flight.  

Cevadeva

Sadistic Rainbows

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:14 pm
When I was in DC, there was a signing of something that was supposed to be put in the building, and I put my name on it. There were LOTS of siggies.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:00 pm
First off, not to be disrespectful or anything, but the plane "flight 93" was headed toward the white house. I mean, no biggie now, but That would have been a FAR more crippling blow to the US morale.
Anywho, I don't see any good reason NOT to build the freedom tower, in a way it is kind of taunting al-Qaeda to try again, but 9/11 must have shocked the hell out of some politicians because there have been no terrorist attacks on American soil since then. I know there have been attempts, but no successful once since that day.
But in a way, the freedom tower and the movie "flight 93" should be considered as monuments to the sacrifice and true patriotism of the American people. Luckily for Hollywood, they didn't even have to Hollywoodize this movie all that much for the majority of the content in it is actually fact. I know we didn't have cameras on the plane, but we had passengers talking to their families the entire time. We have the black box recordings that proved that the passengers made a stand. We have all the proof we need to back up a sense of pride and accomplishment in those poor souls abort flight 93.
I recently went to New York City for a school trip and we visited a building across the street from "ground zero" the place where the freedom tower is now under construction, and the way our tour guide hashed out the story, It moved nearly every single member of our party to tears multiple times. Our guide was actually giving a tour of New York City on 9/11 when the planes went into the towers and was in the same building he was now showing to us when they collapsed. He said that the windows were blown in, there was soot and dust everywhere. The power went out and they were a few bodies scattered on the floor. Nobody that lived through 9/11 that was in those towers or anywhere near them when it happened came out of there alive emotionally. We all bare scars.  

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items