Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

'rents hate a band u like?
  yeah
  no
View Results

Mona05

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:12 am
I'm in love w/ Fall Out Boy, but ever since I started listening to them, my 'rents think I'm going goth/punk(which I'm not), and they're blaming them for the adatude I hav when it's really probobly from them. How can I show them that I'm not going goth/punk and still b able to listen to FOB?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:07 pm
I don't think that one band tells very much about a person. Heck, my three favorite bands play punk rock, punk Irish, and rock opera, and I don't think any of them fit me too well. I think the best way to handle this might be to just not really do anything. As long as you don't start dressing or acting goth/punk, they might just leave you alone.

If worse comes to worse, tell them that it's better than listening to rap and being a gangster.  

A Skepty
Vice Captain

Dapper Elocutionist

The Elf Slave For emsveal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:14 am
FOB aren't really that much of a "punk/goth" band anyway! Tell them that then get them to listen to something REALLY heavey then fall out boy! Then ask them would you rather me listen to that??? If that doesn't work, and even if it does, just try not to dress or act to "punk/goth" and they should get the picture!...hopefully whee
best of luck! wink  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:48 am
your rents are just pissed off alot thats all, people hate it when you get a slightly dark personality or listen music that annoys them. ignore them as long as your happy thats waht matters  

royal jester york

Luc Rage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:14 am
Haha, they think that Fallout Boy are a dark band? Fallout boy are not goth or punk. And I don't see how they could negatively influence you.

Would they rather you listen to some gangster rap stuff or something actually really heavy, like Lord Gore? Things with lyrics about getting raped by zombies rather than relationships?

Your parents should notice that Fallout Boy are not a bad influence. And if you aren't even dressing a little gothic or punk, I don't see what they could even be bothered about. Not that there's anything wrong with dressing that way. Pretty much all I wear is black and my favourite shirt is covered in belts.

Plus I don't see how they can really stop you listening to a band.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:28 pm
you guys gotta stop with the rap baggin man...music is music, tell your parents that you probably dont like what they like, and you have your own taste...ask them if they want you to be like them, or have your own personallity. Also, prove your not going punk/goth or whatever. Also, if you want to show them a little of heavy rock stuff, show them the Lord Gore, or even Cradle of Filth, and then let them listen to FOB, and show them its not the same.

either way, music rules, all of it, and you should enjoy it regardless.  

HiddenWolfNinja

Chazzzzz

Tipsy Lunatic

8,150 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:19 pm
My parents hate nearly everything I like, and frankly I could care less.

Either they embrace your newfound love for some band, or they deal with it.

And since when is rap considered "music"?

That's like saying ***** is art ... neutral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:58 pm
Show them what real "punk/goths" are. Fall Out Boy's music is nothing for them to be worried about. Perhaps have them listen to some of the songs? Or compare it to something worse; I'd go with something like KoRn. They're not "punk/goth" either, but I'm sure once your parents hear that, they'll be just fine with Fall Out Boy.

Or, just talk to them about it. Tell them it's just a band, it's just music you like, and you're not "going punk/goth." If they still argue about it, well, that's just parents for you. Parents rarely like their children's music. I got lucky.

Hope that helped!  

Socks-the-Kitsune

SolstaLynn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:42 pm
heart I remember hearing that a lot can be told about a person by who they like and who they do not. That is not what my experience has taught me, however. heart
Personally, I like: XTC, Manson, Poison, Kate Bush, Pat Benatar, Information Society, They Might Be Giants, Queen, Heather Alexander, Boston Pops, Shazna, Slim White, and many others. The sample that I have just given you is Rock, Punk, Goth, Bluegrass, Celtic Rock, Folk, Filk, etc.

This is just to point out that your music may tell a lot about you, or nothing at all, I am a fan of the eclectic.

As for your aditude, I just hope that you are not rude to your "'rents". If you mind them, they may ease off and let you listen to whatever you like. Mine always did.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:32 am
that's kind of expected from parents as they tend to have different outlooks on us (the future generation) because of all the different styles and trends we have...they are just having a hard time dealing with it, like me, I'm a fan of Taking Back Sunday, System of a Down, POD, MSI, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Papa Roach, Black Eyed Peas (okay I'm really diverse...so sue me), the fact of the matter is that they don't know what you are, so they sorta have to guess a little bit but they need a reason  

Bonekeeper E

Princess Xenodice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Parents tend to dislike a lot of things their kds do.It's just becasue they grew up in a different time and music was way different.Plus a lit of music sends bad messages these days and your parents only care about you and want what's best,believe it or not.

Forgive them for being narrow-minded,but respect their wishes.If you really wanna listen to the music,just tell them.Have them listen to a song or two with you and explain that the band's not sending a negative message.

If they still don't like it,you can always listen to it at a friends house.^_^ I've had to do that when it comes to me liking Green Day.My mom's a republican.So I only listen to it in my room with headphones on,but if I want it loud,I go to my friend Jacki's house and we dance and pound to all the music we want,cuz she's 18 and lives alone.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:18 am
first of all fallout boy are the best
you could go round wering pink and doing good deads lol  

kita123

JustSomeThing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:08 pm
as others have stated, FOB isn't a gothic/punk band. It's okay, my parents nearly hate ALL of the music I listen to....Except they don't know what music I listen to, but when I hear it on the radio they start cursing and laughing at it. So that's why I have an iPod. Is to hide away my music from everyone else, including my parents. Other advice to you is to buy iTunes music gift cards (whether you have an iPod or not) and so then you can buy whatever songs you want without your parents knowing which they are. That's what I do and they still haven't found out yet. Except I accidentely went over the amount of music I have and now it's going to be billed to me so now my parents are gonna be like "WHY THE HECK ARE YOU LISTENING TO THIS CRAPPY MUSIC?!!!??!?!?!" ><  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:27 pm
i hate to say what everyone else has, but FOB definately isnt goth/punk. i hav a similar issue, except that my mom hates pretty much all of the music that i listen to. thats jsut the way it is. you parents arent always going to like what you do, but theres nothing you can do about it.
getting them to realize that it's not affecting you is a good idea. having them listen to a heavier band might help your case. if they know that you chose relationships over gore, they might be more okay with FOB.
but, if nothing works, just forget it. theyre going to hav to get over the fact that you like FOB and theres nothing they can do about it!
good luck.  

beautiful disaster 08

.yumi eternity.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:00 am
I have the same problem. Whenever we're in the car with the radio on, he's always going on about "This is the type of music you should listen to."
My response: "No." Simple as that. Keep listening to what you want to.
About this next thing I'm going to say, refers to my parents, not everyone out there sweatdrop : Parents are trying to find something that they can blame for their child's behavior. Instead, they should be looking at themselves. If my parents weren't so bitchy all the time, I wouldn't have to listen to metal or rock to drown them out and calm down. Now, over the past months, I love this type of music because it's always helped me where my parents could not. Don't let them stop you from doing what you want to do. Since you know that it's not affecting your behavior.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff