Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!
Favorite science-fiction book/author? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:30 am
I must admit that in my days I used to really enjoy Isaac Asimov's stories. I still enjoy the concepts now, but back then I enjoyed reading his robot stories (and consequently the famous Three Laws Of Robotics) and, probably more, his Foundation series (Psychohistory.)

What about y'all? What sci-fi literature do you like?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:46 am
I read some Asimov books. Heck I have all fundation serie at my bookshelf, but currently I'm seriously in love in David Weber "Honor Harrington" serie. It's really great and I never have enought of it! David Weber write good books. I love Harry Harison "Steel Rat" books too. I read lots of s-f and fantasy books I think...  

Wiedziemka

MrToad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:51 am
Ender's Game? Shade's Children b Garth Nix? Theres some good stuff out there.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:13 am
I like Garth nix books and most other books like it but ive never thought of tehm as sci fi.....are they? wow ya learn somefin new every day 3nodding  

ittle_Vash_in_da_world

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:02 am
Let's see . . .

Asimov, I've read Foundation, Prelude to Foundation, and Nemisis. I haven't gotten around to the rest of the Foundation series though.

MrToad
Ender's Game? Shade's Children b Garth Nix? Theres some good stuff out there.

Those are both good books. They do focus more on human drama than any grandiose sci-fi ideals, but they are both good and include sci-fi elements. 3nodding

I also like the books writen by Peter F. Hamilton. He is really good at building huge detailed sci-fi worlds and his stories tend to be a bit tough and gritty sometimes. My main criticism of Hamilton is the Deus Ex Machina endings of some of his works, but they are really fun to read I can tell you that. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:58 am
in sci fi books my author would be David Weber. In fantasy books it would be a tie between J.R.R. Tolkien and David Eddings.  

DragonCowboy

Hygenic Hunter

1,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

StormyWhether

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:21 pm
Terry Goodkind, the Sword of Truth series is the best I've ever read - and I read ALOT!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:05 pm
Madelin L'engle! I love A Wrinkle inTime series. 3nodding  

Bushbaby_ the_spirit_mage

monochan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:34 pm
I heart the Foundation series a lot. heart Although I must admit that the first book really confused me a couple of times because it jumps around so much... sweatdrop

Anybody ever read Nancy Kress's stuff? Her best series was the Beggars series, starting with Beggars in Spain.

I also love stuff by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, who wrote the Dragonlance Chronicles (but I like their other stuff better, like the Sovereign Stone Trilogy)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:01 pm
Micheal Crichton(sp?) would have to be my favorite. He has all of this science fiction and backs it up with actual data, such as the latest one I've read State of Fear. His books are what brought me into science nerd hell.  

gamer014

Wiedziemka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:44 am
Oh one more Stanisław (Stanislaw if ł don't show) Lem ^.^  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:11 pm
Anyone here ever read Scott Westerfeld's books? He's awesome. <3 If you've never heard of him, you should check him out. His best book is Peeps, in my opinion.  

Eustacia Vye

Celestial Secrets

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:38 pm
I normally can't stand sci-fi but i liked the Wrinkle on time series it was really good  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:49 pm
I like quite a bit of si-fi. recently I have been reading some Robert A. Heinlein... specificly, stranger in a strange land. So far I think that The Door into Summer is my favorate, by him...
Also, you can never go wrong with hitchhikers guide, by douglas adams...
Do the Disc World books count as si-fi, or are they fantasy?  

ghashrat

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:57 pm
I read a lot... I mean a lot.

I think L.E. Modesitt Jr is good, I like William Gibson, R.A. Salvatore is cool...

Tolkien is good, I like Anne Rice (Vampire Chronicles... I haven't started the Mayfair Witch series yet, though I have a copy of "The Witching Hour"). I also like H.P. Lovecraft.  
"FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games