Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!
Miyazaki Movies Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:58 am
For those of you who don't recognize his name, Hayao Miyazaki was the director for some more commonly known anime movie. Movies like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

Basically, I'm wondering what other peoples' thoughts on his movies are.

I've noticed that in some of his movies events seem to happen arbitrarily and for no reason, eventually leading up to a pointless or unanswered ending. In particular, I thought Porco Rosso and Kiki's Delivery Service had arbitrary events with unanswered (and thus sudden) endings, and My Neighbor Totoro seemed to have a series of events happen just to happen and the story not really going anywhere or trying to do anything (maybe Kiki's Delivery Service was like this, too?) I suppose these aren't necessarily bad... the movies were enjoyable to watch, after all... but it didn't leave me feeling like they were as good as his others.

I know for the more recent two, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, there seems to be a little of that worked into the movies to create a more mysterious and magical feeling. Kind of interesting, although maybe that explains why I like Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind better? At the very least, the five movies I've mentioned in this paragraph are the ones I'm more likely to rewatch. (Especially Nausicaa since that's been my favorite movie of his since I was a little kid.)

So, what did or didn't you like about the movies of his that you watched?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:44 pm
I've seen Howl's Moving Castle, KiKi's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and Princess Monoke and I have to say I agree completely with you. While the movies have stunning visual affects, the plot leaves a lot to be desired. What I believe is that most people are so breathless at the whimsical quality of the movies, along with the fantasy factor of the plots, that they completely forget to question things left unanswered. If Miyazaki wished to produce movies that left audiences aesthetically pleased with no need to question the plot, he has accomplished this a thousand times over. I admit, the second I finished watching Howl's Moving Castle, I was speechless. I couldn't even make coherent sentences. I rambled on in words like: "Oh my God!!! And with the heart...how could you...and then she put it...and the witch...with the!!!" along with many frantic hand movements.

I don't mean to say that Miyazaki doesn't create wonderful movies. No, not by any means. I enjoy them immensely. Just not on a plot-structure level. They are almost like artwork to me. Only living in a sense.

Isianya

Aged Gaian

1,900 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Ultrahamsterz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:26 pm
I LOVE MIYAZAKI. Totoro was my first. Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Nausica of the Valley of the Wind, Porco Rosso, those are just a few!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:50 pm
i love Miyazaki's films! my friend got me hooked with Nauscaa of the Valley of the Wind and i watch them whenever i can.

the arbitrarity just made it more enjoyable for me. (then again, i'm slightly random as well.) it seemed to make the character's more real.

don't forget Pom Poko!

blue_lutra

lorienfairy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:36 pm
First was Howls moving castle. I watched it once. the next day I watched it 3 times in a row. I loved it that much.

Next (and sadly, final) was Spirited Away.

I have made a commitment to buy and watch all of his works... Over.. and over... and over...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:47 am
Miyazaki has to be my hero.

The first movie I watched form him was KiKi's, but I felt so upset at the sudden ending. I always thought that there was so much more behind it, and he just hadn't enough time to put it in.

Spirited Away, however, sparked my craze.

I saw it when I was twelve, and as two years older than Chihiro, I felt a deep connection to her, as I myself was whiny and bratty (like her in the very beginning), but still, I had a love of fantasy. Things really flared when Haku arrived, and the dragon...aggh. Shivers. -Haku/Chihiro enthusiast- I loved the ending. I rewatch that movie as much as possible.

Howl's Moving Castle also gives me chills when I see it. Not because I'm scared, but because it's one of Miyazaki's best works, next to Spirited Away (IMO). I, again, felt connected to Sophie in a way (being a plain-Jane myself), and HOWL.

GAWD, I loved Howl. I'm still searching for a hard-cover version of the book.

Those are my main movies--I've finished most of them.  

Jimuzi

sabriel111

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:01 am
i've seen Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and Nausica Valley of the Wind. I loved them all and think his movies are wonderfull.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:39 pm
Princess Monoke is so fin awsome**drool**  

phantomthief_tWiTcH

Teh.Guild.Mule

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:49 pm
I love Howls moving castle and Kikis delivery service...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:44 pm
Miyazaki rocks my socks. whee All of his movies are memorable, especially Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away! Kudos to Miyazaki-san!  

omiko

ShadowLadyRaven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:25 pm
Oh Miyazaki-san is the best!

I must say, the first thing I saw of his was Princess Mononoke when I was like...10 or 11. I love that one and my parents thought it just a little odd I liked it so much despite the blood. Then I saw Spirited Away and I love that one too. It has an open yet resolved ending and gah I just like his stuff.

Though, besides the two previously mentioned I've only seen Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind ( I really love that one. Hell, there were some famous names in the english version. ), Kiki's delivery service and Howl's Moving Castle. The issue with Kiki for me is that it's slow. I definately didn't like it as much as the other four I've seen.

I just love his works. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:58 am
I enjoy films from Mr. Miyazaki. I would like to finish watching Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, and I would like to watch Howl's Moving Castle.  

Sugihide

G u a r d i a n

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:59 pm
Howl's Moving Castle was really sweet. I think it's the first (and probably last) movie that Miyazaki directed which had an actual kiss scene. But besides that, the story line's really good. It follows the original book pretty well - at least, it captures the atmosphere and the characters in that sense.

I heard he's retired (again) and that he's not making any more films. But his son is directing another a new one called, "Gendo Senki : Tales from Earthsea."

Besides some of the classics that were brought up... I really liked another Ghibli film called Whisper of the Heart. I'm not sure if Miyazaki directed that one, but it was fairly good. It's similar to The Cat Returns in that the two movies share certain characters, but they have completely different story lines. Whisper of the Heart also focuses on a girl, but it's not "magical." More real, but it's equally enthralling. If you haven't seen it, I encourage you to try. wink

I have to admit though, Miyazaki tends to stick to the ambiguous, even though the art and furnish are very lavish. Even the music's great! (round of applause for Joe Hisaishi) Maybe it's his style seeing as the ambiguity happens over and over again. Still, the guy's a genius.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:15 am
Well...I'd been watching Mayazaki's movie when I was 3
But anyway it's not really as bad as ya think

My very first and favorite one Kaze no Nauissca,the background is the future that we might have to face one day,where the costed of the war had polluated the earth,polluated forest,giant insect appeared.Peopl have to wear the anti-mask in order to protect themselves

Then Castle in the sky is awesome,actually it's about an abodan castle which floating in the sky.And the reason of why is people should just return the earth like the nation way it is,would ya like to died in a place where ya wandering in a place where there's not really a place that ya can be returned???(Well maybe not really a good point but,ya guys got what cha mean???^^;;; )

Well the ending might looks plain but it has its good side,Sprit Away if the artist planned that Haku didn't return as he promise then what would ya think???SUCKS right???
So he left it as reader to imagine your own ending

Howl's Moving castle also not too bad in my opinion,the ending is not too bad either(Let's just say we're watching a fairy tale in here in the end ok???)

Ok I couldn't loist out everything right now,but in my opinion mayasaki's flim is not too bad in my opinion  

sandywai

7,940 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

WhiteWolfAnaiyu

8,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:09 pm
I LOVE Hayoa Miyazaki's movies. I especially love Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. My Neighbor Totoro never really caught my interest cause there was no real plot to it. I have yet to see Howl's Moving Castle but I really want to. And there is another one out there now that I saw at wal mart the other day and now I can't remember what the name of it was.  
"FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games