Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!
worst english dub Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

crazydude444292

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:24 am
you have your catagory now begin your debate!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:05 am
When I think about expressing my feelings,

The worst English dub has to be Card Captor Sakura.
4Kids! totally butchered the anime.
It wasn't the voices that were bad.
Everything good in the anime was edited off!
They changed the names to really bad ones,
they cut out Meiling and Syaoron's engagement (as well as their promise),
they cut out the "crush" Syaoran had on Yukito,
same with the relationship between Sakura and Toyomo,
Sakura and Syaoran, Toyomo and Eriol, Eriol and Mizuki, and Touya and Mizuki.
I could go on, but it would take forever. >_>

why do the words suddenly disappear?

Maiden of Night

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:09 pm
The version of Sonic X dvds that I own, spoken in Japanese, but with English subtitles is pretty bad.

For instance, you'll hear the character say "okay!" and the subtitle says "Alright." Or the character says "Eggman!" and the subtitle says "Machine King." And they say "Sonika!" and the subtitle says "Sonic Rat." The rest of the titles are butchered, and require actual thinking to puzzle out what they must be talking about in context with the pictures.

It's baaaaaaaaaaaad. gonk xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:10 pm
Maiden of Night

Hey! That's no fair! We wanted to talk about bad dubs, not total rape of everything a pure and wonderful anime stood for!

I was going to naively say "Love Hina" but Maiden of Night reminded me of the true horrors of the anime dubbing world... the poor shows that were cut up and made into something horrible. I know Sailor Moon suffered from some of this (and thanks to that season 5 isn't here right now.) Also, the first release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was... Warriors of the Wind. It's a Miyazaki movie that I grew up watching, but even I couldn't forgive them for cutting out over half an hour of the movie! I mean, gosh, they cut out all the scenes talking about the origins of the Toxic Jungle in the first place! Although I must admit that renaming the Sea of Decay into the Toxic Jungle was probably a clever idea that I think better describes the phenomenom.

So, I'll have to go with Maiden of Night and say Cardcaptors, the bastardized version of Card Captor Sakura which editted out the first ~7 episodes (those were the best ones!), attempted to make Sakura a co-star with Li in order to make it more attractive to guys (to make it another Pokemon?!?!?!), removed all homosexual references in another ridiculous cultural censorship, and finally... the biggest tragedy to befall mankind in the last century (except for the Holocaust, of course)... precious Tomoyo turned into Madison, a f@#$@ "california valley girl" stereotype?!?!?!

Actually, I must admit I've not seen it, only watched the original and read sites which attempt to describe in the utmost detail what was changed. I do explicitly remember one person waiting for Madison to say the infamous "what EVAR" and pointing out when it did?  

Nadian
Crew

crazydude444292

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:44 pm
Nadian
Maiden of Night

Hey! That's no fair! We wanted to talk about bad dubs, not total rape of everything a pure and wonderful anime stood for!

I was going to naively say "Love Hina" but Maiden of Night reminded me of the true horrors of the anime dubbing world... the poor shows that were cut up and made into something horrible. I know Sailor Moon suffered from some of this (and thanks to that season 5 isn't here right now.) Also, the first release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was... Warriors of the Wind. It's a Miyazaki movie that I grew up watching, but even I couldn't forgive them for cutting out over half an hour of the movie! I mean, gosh, they cut out all the scenes talking about the origins of the Toxic Jungle in the first place! Although I must admit that renaming the Sea of Decay into the Toxic Jungle was probably a clever idea that I think better describes the phenomenom.

So, I'll have to go with Maiden of Night and say Cardcaptors, the bastardized version of Card Captor Sakura which editted out the first ~7 episodes (those were the best ones!), attempted to make Sakura a co-star with Li in order to make it more attractive to guys (to make it another Pokemon?!?!?!), removed all homosexual references in another ridiculous cultural censorship, and finally... the biggest tragedy to befall mankind in the last century (except for the Holocaust, of course)... precious Tomoyo turned into Madison, a f@#$@ "california valley girl" stereotype?!?!?!

Actually, I must admit I've not seen it, only watched the original and read sites which attempt to describe in the utmost detail what was changed. I do explicitly remember one person waiting for Madison to say the infamous "what EVAR" and pointing out when it did?
well of course CCS was going to be axed with what the uncut version had. why? WB/cartoon network picked up on it! they aren't going to have the risque stuff in there!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:10 am

Oh yes, thank you Nadian!
I actually took the title two ways: the butcherment of animes or horrible voice acting.
Oh yes. I remember that Sailor Moon was another horrible butcherment.
The voice acting annoyed the crap out of me with its preppiness,
not to mention the anime's homosexual references was cut off too.
(Michiru and Haruka's relationship.)
Thank goodness my friend is exposing me to the Japanese version.

Maiden of Night

Curiosity2die4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:44 am
crazydude444292
Nadian
Maiden of Night

well of course CCS was going to be axed with what the uncut version had. why? WB/cartoon network picked up on it! they aren't going to have the risque stuff in there!

Madison...? WTF?! Wow, I am really glad that I didn't watch the CCS.... That is pretty bad... but then they did the same to Yu-Gi-Oh! which is (in my opinion) a really good manga. But then the Anime went the extra length to make it "kid friendly" which TOTALLY drains the story.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:08 pm
Xuritryn
crazydude444292
Nadian
Maiden of Night

Madison...? WTF?! Wow, I am really glad that I didn't watch the CCS.... That is pretty bad... but then they did the same to Yu-Gi-Oh! which is (in my opinion) a really good manga. But then the Anime went the extra length to make it "kid friendly" which TOTALLY drains the story.
what do you expect? they don't call them saturday morning cartoons for nothing  

crazydude444292

Princess Tinkle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:11 pm
Poor, poor Card Captor Sakura...they didn't even start on the first episode in the dub.

Sailor Moon was done pretty horribly, too. It introduced such words and phrases as "Hunkasaurous" and "Moon Mama". It made me want to kill myself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:54 pm
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145
Fear the power of 4kids!  

gamer014

Beitrix

Dapper Lunatic

7,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:31 pm
eh, if you wanna get picky then all english dubs are bad. at least every one i've heard. and i've watched alot of anime. both english and japanese. and the english ones suck. so i stick with the japanese i try not to watch the english versions, but sometimes i have no choice and i kill myself when i watch the english versions lol  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:39 pm
gamer014
Fear the power of 4kids!
that couldn't more true than ever!  

crazydude444292

Iris_16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:22 pm
worst english dub digimon...god...I was scanning through channels then i saw digimon then I heard the dubbing...terrible!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:25 pm
crazydude444292
gamer014
Fear the power of 4kids!

yep, so FEAR THE POWER OF 4KIDS!  

gamer014

crazydude444292

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:04 pm
gamer014
crazydude444292
gamer014
Fear the power of 4kids!

yep, so FEAR THE POWER OF 4KIDS!
i don't it need asking, but who's worse? wb or 4kids?  
"FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games