Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Weeee!!
  Gold!
View Results

Ulterior_Motives

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:24 pm
Okay. So, we learn a language. We learn about the culture sometimes through our textbook, sometimes from the media and sometimes from nativev speakers.

But how can we be sure that what we're told is true? And how can we truely understand the differences?

That's where an exchange and homestay program comes in. I personaly just finshied a homestay in Okinawa Japan and I seriously believe that it's an oppertunity that everyone who studies another language should at least strive towards.

You not only get a chance to improve your language skills and make your speach patterns more native- but you get the chance to live another life and look at your life from another point of veiw.

Has anyone else here ever gotten to do an exchange or homestay?
Anyone planning to?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:25 am
i kno sum homestay's in america the host families are mean  

OF COURSE BBY

Dapper Dabbler

Smurfbarret

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:10 am
I went to England, tho only for a week.. It was fun biggrin 3nodding
Would love to do it again, doesn't have to be England. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:44 pm
I'd love to do a homestay, but they cost too much money. stare

SwarmyMarmy

Ulterior_Motives

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:05 am
Captain Absinthe
I'd love to do a homestay, but they cost too much money. stare

You can get scholarships...Mine was completly paid for.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:57 pm
I've never had the opportunity.

I heard of an instance where a few Americans completely and utterly dishonored the family that were housing them for the homestay. The family tried to maintain their patience with them even throughout the abuse they recieved.

I'm surprised there are still families willing to cooperate.

Hazard_Tsunami

Fearsome Businesswoman

Ulterior_Motives

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:04 pm
Hazard_Tsunami
I've never had the opportunity.

I heard of an instance where a few Americans completely and utterly dishonored the family that were housing them for the homestay. The family tried to maintain their patience with them even throughout the abuse they recieved.

I'm surprised there are still families willing to cooperate.

My host mother was crying when I left, and I've kept a line of contact open since.

The majority of the students who go through the program aren't like that, there's a few horror stories, yeah... But we all know that those stories rarely represent the whole of the group.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:45 pm
I'm in America now, and I'd gladly be a host. But, I'm not sure about my mom, but I'd love to have someone from a different country stay with us. But that's just how I am. xD I wanna go to Peru. xD  

[Star Dust]

locke317

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:31 pm
I, actually, am going to Germany for a while to do a homestay with a family over the summer.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:37 pm
Oh yay!

*joyous that this thread got revived*

[Star Dust]- It's possible to host for a short period of time, even a few weeks. Check out organization websites. My organization did 3 week to full year programs. It's the YFU- google it.

locke317- Fun stuff!! What program, and where in germany?  

Ulterior_Motives

locke317

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:42 pm
Ulterior_Motives

locke317- Fun stuff!! What program, and where in germany?

I am going through ISE, and the family stay will be in Rostock near the Baltic Sea.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:30 pm
Ulterior_Motives
Oh yay!

[Star Dust]- It's possible to host for a short period of time, even a few weeks. Check out organization websites. My organization did 3 week to full year programs. It's the YFU- google it.

I checked it out, and it's pretty cool. I couldn't read some of the words for the Mexico one, but that's just cos I'm only in Spanish 1. But all the ones I saw were for hosting was for a year. confused

[Star Dust]

Tus Ojos Oscuros..

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:32 am
I'd love to do a homestay to Spain.

=3;

"FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items