No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
What is nothing? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you here to actually answer... or just poll.
  Answer.
  Just polling.
View Results

Kenutsu Yasashiku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:12 pm
So here is the question. What do you think nothing is, in your own words of course. Just give the best answer you can come up with.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:44 pm
What is nothing?

Nothing is the absense of everything. When everything is gone, nothing is left.

So can nothing exist physically? The answer is no. If you get rid of all the heat, all the light, all the matter, all the movement ect. You still have things. Getting rid of heat leaves you with cold, ridding yourself of light yealds darkness. Having no matter leaves you with emptyness, and no movement is still ness. ((Basically all of them combined is a lack of energy, except perhaps matter... )) anyway... theere is also time. I have no idea how you can get ride of it because even nothing can be marked by time.

Can you find nothing or have nothing? Yes. Now this does not contradict the above paragraph for the simple fact that nothing EXISTS as an IDEA, and an idea is not a physical object. Nothing is an idea that describes something that does not exist.

So what is true nothing? The answer is I have no earthly or unearthly clue. Because true nothing cannot exist, there for we cannot think of it, cannot speak of it, cannot even imagine it because true nothing never has and never will exist in any way what so ever. Because if it does it ceices to be nothing and becomes something.

Well, I hope that is not too wordy for you all.  

Kenutsu Yasashiku

has_been_deleted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:51 pm
ah to shorten what Kenutsu Yasashiku said...

nothing is the absense of everything, just as darkness is the absense of light, cold is the absense of heat. "nothing" is simply an idea, not a physical "thing".  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:55 pm
Um, Thank you.... sweatdrop  

Kenutsu Yasashiku

has_been_deleted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:58 pm
haha. you're quite welcome. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:04 pm
Do you have your own opinion on nothing... or do you like mine?  

Kenutsu Yasashiku

Grypesagon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:17 pm
the definition of nothing is unfortunately not opinion based. Nothing is just as real as everything else. It has a definition and you pretty much nailed it. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:44 pm
I guess so... I just like asking people the question... I get a lot of people that say... "umm.... .... ... Nothing... is nothing..." They know what it is but cannot tell me for some reason.  

Kenutsu Yasashiku

Seeker_of_Skybreak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:36 pm
Nothing is essentially the absolute paradox--it is the absence of existence, and yet by giving it a name, a definition, we give it substance--which would make it exist and not exist at the same time.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:47 pm
Nothing is relative
to some people it can = 0
to some people it can mean everything  

hyperkagura

Chime Elf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:18 pm
Ah...there is some intelligence left in the world.

Your definitions all sum up 'nothing', so instead of typing exactly what has already been said, but in my own, complicated and convoluted words, I will simply say:

"Kudos to all"

wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:31 pm
I agree that nothing is the absence of everything. While I would agree that it can't be accomplished, I would like to propose a scenario. If empty space was cooled down to absolute zero, could it be considered nothing? There would be no heat, no matter, no energy, and no movement. Could time be said to stop for that part of space?  

locke317

The God Filicide

5,850 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:33 pm
Kenutsu Yasashiku
What is nothing?

Nothing is the absense of everything. When everything is gone, nothing is left.

So can nothing exist physically? The answer is no. If you get rid of all the heat, all the light, all the matter, all the movement ect. You still have things. Getting rid of heat leaves you with cold, ridding yourself of light yealds darkness. Having no matter leaves you with emptyness, and no movement is still ness. ((Basically all of them combined is a lack of energy, except perhaps matter... )) anyway... theere is also time. I have no idea how you can get ride of it because even nothing can be marked by time.

Can you find nothing or have nothing? Yes. Now this does not contradict the above paragraph for the simple fact that nothing EXISTS as an IDEA, and an idea is not a physical object. Nothing is an idea that describes something that does not exist.

So what is true nothing? The answer is I have no earthly or unearthly clue. Because true nothing cannot exist, there for we cannot think of it, cannot speak of it, cannot even imagine it because true nothing never has and never will exist in any way what so ever. Because if it does it ceices to be nothing and becomes something.

Well, I hope that is not too wordy for you all.
It also can be the split second if even that long just before what would be the universe we are living in now(after billions of years) after it was sucked into a black hole and about to implode then explode and create the universe. That is the closest we will ever get to nothing until it happens again.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:33 pm
Nothing is a word that humans made up because they are bored...

There really can never be nothing, only humans think of nothing. When we say,"there is nothing in that container" if you get down to it there is air, bacteria, dust, and a ton of other little organisms inside that container. Some one calls you up and asks you what you're doing and you say nothing it's not true. You are either laying or sitting or standing or something, you are breathing, blood is flowing, you probably blink once or twice.

There is never nothing holy cows that is such a bad double negative xd  

Princess_Risu

[~.Fallangel.~]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:35 am
Nothing is when there isn't anything there or going on. The most common discription of a nothing would be Black. But that won't work because that makes Black a something. White also wouldn't work because it has light and white.

My point is that there is no such thing as a nothing - either it doesn't exist or there isn't an example - nothing is just a figment of our imagination.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff