Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
Logic VS Intuition Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Seeker_of_Skybreak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:30 pm
Anyone want to help in an ongoinging philosophical argument between me and my friend?
She says that logic is just intuition with you just scrambling around trying to prove what you already feel is true. She claims i am wasting my time logically proving my arguments because i already know what i'm arguing for is true.
I say that be that as it may, logic is there to make sure, and that, since "i felt like i should kill that man" won't stand up in today's court, it's irrelevant whether intution is the basis of logic--logic is widely accepted as proof, and that's what counts.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:43 pm
Um, logic has nothing to do with intuition. Intuition is like a feeling one gets in one's gut, for no apparent reason. Logic cannot exist without reasons.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

has_been_deleted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:04 pm
it might help if you two define what is meant by logic and intuition.

i'll use the game "minesweeper" as an example.

intuition says" i feel like theres a mine there"
logic says: "the number clues are telling me that in this area there are anywhere from 3 to 5 mines. since there cant be mines here, there have to be some there."

hopefully that made sense...
if it didnt think of a math problem that requires multiple steps. intuition is like guessing at the answer, logic if following the steps, in order, to find the outcome.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:48 pm
Internally, logic and intuition are very closely related. Information theory is really the only way to understand it.

The brain's subconscious levels process billions upon billions of bits of information a second. You're brain is constantly regulating breathing, blood flow, blinking, sensory intake from every available source, balance, and that's only while sitting still.

Now... for all that information sorting itself on the subconscious level only a small amount makes it to the surface for conscious realisation.

Intuition is the instinctive realisation of and end result.

Logic is the ability to trace the pattern of probability from one end of the situation to the other.

The better you are at logic, the more reliable your intuition tends to be because you're consciously improving on your brains ability to quantify and sort data increasing the accuraccy of intuitive estimations.

So keep working on your logic. Understanding why your intuition was right will only serve to aid it's depth and accurracy. smile

(this has all been presented with a disregard of extra-sensory intuition. While I beleive in it's existance it's rare and does in no way shape or form discount the fact that strengthening ones logic will strengthen thier intuition.)  

Grypesagon

Chime Elf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:51 pm
While that's true, and very in-depth, for the sake of Seeker_of_Skybreak's discussion/argument with her friend, I think a simple answer may be best.

Intuition is a feeling that you suddenly get for no apparent reason. Logic is the reason behind something; logic is something that everyone knows, and should not be altered due to different discursive backgrounds. Logic is much alike to common sense, but is more towards the reasoning of something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:22 am
well ur friend its kinda right... intuiton its just logic but ur brain already processed the answer so u skip the whole explanaiton u just pass from the 'question' to the 'answer' and u will never find the arguments to prove that ur intuiton its right after a few test cuz since u skip the explanation u dont have any bases, but if u think it well and review what u know before u have the answer u will see that u know the necesary to have a conclusion and ur brain did it before u  

Nitro-kun

RONIN_13X

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:01 pm
intuition is based on knowledge........so take intuition..........  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:31 pm
RONIN_13X

Actually, use logic.
Even if intuiton is based on knowledge, like you said, you could be taking the wrong path. What if you didn't have the "right" knowledge to use intuiton for answering a question? Your answer would end up wrong.
Using logic will make your answer to a question more accurate. Like others said, intuition is like following your gut.  

zenyk

Nitro-kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:25 pm
meamaaslimjim
RONIN_13X

Actually, use logic.
Even if intuiton is based on knowledge, like you said, you could be taking the wrong path. What if you didn't have the "right" knowledge to use intuiton for answering a question? Your answer would end up wrong.
Using logic will make your answer to a question more accurate. Like others said, intuition is like following your gut.
well ur friend its kinda right... intuiton its just logic but ur brain already processed the answer so u skip the whole explanaiton u just pass from the 'question' to the 'answer' and u will never find the arguments to prove that ur intuiton its right after a few test cuz since u skip the explanation u dont have any bases, but if u think it well and review what u know before u have the answer u will see that u know the necesary to have a conclusion and ur brain did it before u  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:49 pm
Logic is what you use to explain somthing to some one or reason something out so you haave a better understanding of what you're doing

Intuition is what you use in normal life like just saying something in reaction to what someone says or in choosing what to do when you have little to no info.

In a nutshell logic is for convinceing and explaining.
Intuition is just what you do or feel you should do.  

BluePod

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:48 pm
Seeker_of_Skybreak
Anyone want to help in an ongoinging philosophical argument between me and my friend?
She says that logic is just intuition with you just scrambling around trying to prove what you already feel is true. She claims i am wasting my time logically proving my arguments because i already know what i'm arguing for is true.
I say that be that as it may, logic is there to make sure, and that, since "i felt like i should kill that man" won't stand up in today's court, it's irrelevant whether intution is the basis of logic--logic is widely accepted as proof, and that's what counts.

logic and intuition are 2 totally different things. totally different parts of the brain power each of them. logic is following a thought process, intuition is a feeling. some use one more than the other, some use both relatively equally (I like to think of myself as the latter). also I dont think seeking to prove what you feel is true is a waste of time. depends on who you wanna prove it to.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:58 am
Nitro-kun

well I think this is a good point, it just need more grammar =)  

I am Yuu-chan

I am Yuu-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:59 am
Calypsophia
Seeker_of_Skybreak

logic and intuition are 2 totally different things. totally different parts of the brain power each of them. logic is following a thought process, intuition is a feeling. some use one more than the other, some use both relatively equally (I like to think of myself as the latter). also I dont think seeking to prove what you feel is true is a waste of time. depends on who you wanna prove it to.

I think, like someone else said that they are not that different, intuition is just more complex to understand since you didnt make the procces to get the answer, your brain skipped that part...  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:19 am
I am Yuu-chan
Calypsophia
Seeker_of_Skybreak

I think, like someone else said that they are not that different, intuition is just more complex to understand since you didnt make the procces to get the answer, your brain skipped that part...

intuition is just knowing... it's like a heightened sense of instinct. logic is the thought process one goes thru to come to a conclusion. it's exactly the process that makes the difference. and some things intuitively known could not be figured out thru a logical process.  

Calypsophia

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:07 pm
has_been_deleted
it might help if you two define what is meant by logic and intuition.

i'll use the game "minesweeper" as an example.

intuition says" i feel like theres a mine there"
logic says: "the number clues are telling me that in this area there are anywhere from 3 to 5 mines. since there cant be mines here, there have to be some there."

hopefully that made sense...
if it didnt think of a math problem that requires multiple steps. intuition is like guessing at the answer, logic if following the steps, in order, to find the outcome.

it made sense, but when I think of intuition I also think of scenarios such as "my lost dog will be at the garage door waiting for me to feed him tomorrow morning after he's been missing for 2 weeks" or "I have a feeling I'll be hearing from or seeing someone soon whom I havent seen or talked to in years". with these, there arent necessarily any streams of logic to draw ones conclusion from.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff