(>_<)
  (¬_¬)
  (╥_─)
View Results

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:59 am
Oh good grief. We are becoming a nation of sissies. confused

Someone actually called to complain because this guy's license plate said "merlot". Who ever did that should seriously get a life.

Quote:
'Merlot' A No-No On Utah License Plate

SALT LAKE CITY, Mar. 17, 2007
(AP)
Merlot can be a variety of grape or a type of red wine, but not an acceptable personalized license plate in the state of Utah.

Glenn Eurick's 1996 Mercedes has had the license plate reading "merlot" for 10 years. He says the plate never got a lot of notice until the Utah Tax Commission told him last week that he had to remove it because the state doesn't allow words of intoxicant to be used on vanity plates.

Six or seven-letter words like liquor or whiskey probably wouldn't make it through the state screening process before the plates are issued. But merlot did and Eurick was fine until an anonymous caller told the state that merlot was also an alcoholic beverage.

Eurick's car with the offending plate is dark red, like the wine. He said few people who asked about the plate made the connection. Though one man did ask "if we chose merlot because there were too many letters in cabernet sauvignon," Eurick said.

Eurick said he will challenge the state's decision.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/17/ap/strange/main2581516.shtml

I know that technically the state is just following the rules but this just bothers me for some reason. I guess it's just the idea that someone was actually offended enough that a license plate said "merlot" that they felt the need to call in a complaint. It's like "Yeah, that'll show that guy in put the name of a type of wine on his car".  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:51 pm
Congrats! You found an Easter Egg!

User ImagePink 2

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Panda Go Moo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:21 pm
bumpers! x3  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:45 pm
I found it amusing that the state had to be told that merlot was an alcoholic beverage.  

locke317

chessiejo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:08 pm
vermont is sposed to be a "liberal" state.

well they had better check out what "individual freedom" means.

i live nearby, close enough to buy my fireworks there.  
"WNN" Why Not News

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games