Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!
The Heralds of Valdemar

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's your favourite Valdemar novel/trilogy?
  The Mage Wars Trilogy (the gryphons)
  The Last Herald-Mage Trilogy (Vanyel's tale)
  The Arrows Trilogy (Talia's tale)
  The Mage Winds Trilogy
  The Mage Storms Trilogy
  Exile's Honor/Exile's Valor (Alberich's tale)
  Brightly Burning (Lavan Firestorm's tale)
  Take a Thief (Skif's Tale)
  Vows and Honor/By the Sword (Tarma and Kethry/Kerowyn's tale)
  The Owls Trilogy (Darian's tale)
View Results

Calixti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:15 am
Okay, so despite the cliches and ocassional preachiness of Mercedes Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar series, I love it. I have the entire series save the Griffons trilogy, which I'm not too interested in, and the Oathbound duology, which I desperately want but can't find. cry My favourite book by far is Kerowyn's tale, By the Sword, and I LOVE Need, especially when
she wakes up in the Winds. She's so funny and sarcastic. I think I cried the first time I read Storm Breaking when she was destroyed.

I like the Arrows trilogy about Herald Talia too, although I really think Mercedes Lackey went the "gratuitous torture" route instead of putting work into characterisation. It's pretty obvious from the way she reacts when she leaves home with Rolan--with her upbringing, she shouldn't have handled it so well. I don't like the idea of lifebonds, either; it seems like a cheap way to avoid character development. It takes a lot of development before you realise that two characters are in love. It's not something you can just say, "Okay, they go together" without hurting the story. neutral

The Valdemar novels I read most would be The Last Herald-Mage trilogy, even though I dislike a lot of aspects about it. Vanyel at least has an excuse for being a whiny b***h--he's fifteen. Most fifteen-year-olds whine. I sure as hell did. I still do sometimes. ^^; And past that, well, he's ostracised by his family and worried people judge him on his sexuality. That's not an easy thing to deal with, as I'm sure any other LGBTs in here can attest to.I think I like it so much because I can relate to Vanyel a bit, even if he does tend to whine. heart

So guys, you ever read about the Heralds of Valdemar? Who's your favourite character? What's your favourite story? What do you think of Mercedes Lackey's writing style with the Heralds of Valdemar? What else do you hope to see from Valdemar? Do you hope Mercedes Lackey will go past the the Owls trilogy, or do you hope she'll delve into the past and cover the centures before King Sendar? Do you hope to read more about the Shin'a'in or the Tayledras or countries outside Valdemar?

NOTE: I put the Vows and Honor trilogy with By the Sword in the poll because there's not enough options and Kerowyn's related to Kethry, so I guess it works. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:53 pm
Well, I have read most, if not all of them by now. My favorite ones are Brightly Burning, and The Last Herald-Mage. I like The Last Herald-Mage a bit more because I actually have the CD with the songs that are mentioned in the books. I also have the music for Oathbound/Oathblood CDs as well.  

locke317

Calixti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:11 pm
locke317
Well, I have read most, if not all of them by now. My favorite ones are Brightly Burning, and The Last Herald-Mage. I like The Last Herald-Mage a bit more because I actually have the CD with the songs that are mentioned in the books. I also have the music for Oathbound/Oathblood CDs as well.
I've thought about getting some of the CDs. Are they any good? Which ones would you recommend?

I'm pretty fond of Brightly Burning, and can even sympathise with Lavan a little, being a former bully-target, though I like Herald Pol better as a character. I tend to enjoy the minor characters more in the stand-alone novels; it seems like Lackey puts more into their development, which struck me as odd at first.

The Last Herald-Mage I know I ranted on already, but its real weak point is the preachiness--namely, the speech about gay animals. I mean, honestly. That doesn't work with hardheaded parents. Trust me, I tried it. ^^;  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:15 pm
The Indubitable Katie-Kat
locke317
I've thought about getting some of the CDs. Are they any good? Which ones would you recommend?

I'm pretty fond of Brightly Burning, and can even sympathise with Lavan a little, being a former bully-target, though I like Herald Pol better as a character. I tend to enjoy the minor characters more in the stand-alone novels; it seems like Lackey puts more into their development, which struck me as odd at first.

The Last Herald-Mage I know I ranted on already, but its real weak point is the preachiness--namely, the speech about gay animals. I mean, honestly. That doesn't work with hardheaded parents. Trust me, I tried it. ^^;

Well, of the three I have, I would reccomend Shaow Stalker the most. The singer has a great voice. The songs are all like classic bard music. Usually the songs are focused on the vocals with one stringed instument as an accompanyment. Shadow Stalker has the more good songs than the Oathbound/Oathblood CDs, but the Oathbound/blood CDs do have a few really good songs.

With regards to The Last Heral-Mage, I summerized the book by saying it is about a gay kid who loses his lover, then gains magic powers.  

locke317

"FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games