Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "EGG" Electronics, Gizmos and Gadgets!
Internet to replace applications?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

locke317

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:30 am
There are enough applications online to make me wonder if a person would be able to do almost all of their work online. There are spreadsheets, word processors, email clients, you name it, and there is likely an online version assuming that the application is not CPU intensive like video editing or watching movies. But, for office work, could a person use just online services to get things done?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:03 am
I think that's entirely possible in the coming years. Right now most of that stuff is still in it's early stages but I could definitely see using web applications for all sorts of stuff in the future.

I already use google docs and spreadsheets now. It's great to be able to access and even share documents from any computer with an internet connection. I used google docs and spreadsheets to edit a small self published poetry book that I made using a bunch of selected poems I had written from late 2003 to 2006. I still had to use MS Word to get the page layout correct but the online apps made for some convenient handling while I moved back and forth from work and home. The final product was great too, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a book sold at any book store. A little 48 page book with glossy covers and it was cheap too even though I only printed three copies. It's fun to have something like that around the house to remember or show to friends.

So there's an example of how an online word processor was a help to a project of mine, but it couldn't do the entire job it's self.  

Strideo
Crew

"EGG" Electronics, Gizmos and Gadgets!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces