Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

coolhattrick

Wheezing Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:37 am

Okay, prep yourselves for a little rant here:

Everyone says time travel is impossible, but we're constantly performing it. Sitting at the computer, I'm traveling time. Every second that passes, we are moving into the future. People always think of time traveling as going to the dinosaur age or to the future and seeing flying cars and s**t like that. The truth is, every second of our lives we are both in the past and future. There is no present. That’s just the name we give to the act of both being in the past and future at once. People consider the future to be years from now. The future is actually even mere seconds from where you are now. As a matter of fact, the past is just a few seconds before what’s happening. So if you have memories of even a few seconds ago, you been to the past. As you realize this, you've traveled even further into the future.

Again, traveling to the past or future doesn't necessarily mean to the age of cavemen or to the imminent post-apocalyptic earth. It means having memories. It means being aware of the fact that you're constantly moving forward in life, constantly moving into the unknown future and leaving the past behind. The future is now, the past is now, there is no way to distinguish the difference between these. They're one and the same! The past is the future and the future is the past, the names we give to them mean nothing! As you read this, you are in the future and the past. Each second that passes was the future two seconds ago.

The future is an indefinite thing. Uncertainty reigns supreme. But if we look at the past, we can learn how to act in the future. The past was the future at one point, keep in mind. So, technically, we can learn how to act in the future by looking at what used to be the future. The past is certain, and we can use it to our advantage. Learn from history. If we look at the past, we can learn to avoid adversity in the future. After all, the past was the future.

Now, if you think about it, we always thought we needed some type of machine to access a time slip to move forwards and backwards through time. But that is not true. All we need is a physical body. All we need is to be here and to be alive. All we need is to believe that we are traveling, and we will. Time travel is not impossible; we just need to think outside the box.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:35 am
I love the way you think 3nodding When I used think of time travel I think of the use of machine.. But wouldn't the machine have to rapidly spin the earths axis? But this makes me think otherwise.  

Kirotoki

cool_cait

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:11 pm
That's a very cool way of looking at time travel! I like your thinking as well! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:57 pm
The idea of time travel stems from man's overwhelming desire to seek the knowledge that he does not have. To this end, people will imagine a journey to the far future or the distant past, in order to personally answer the question of "what really happened/s".

It is true that we are "travelling through time", by travelling through what was the future and what is the past. However, because man seeks to control the world he lives in, simply being trodden through a timeline is not enough. His desire is to leap forwards or backwards across the timeline, to answer that question I mentioned above.  

DarkTeal

FriendlyFangirl88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:53 pm
Are we really traveling through time though?

Travel implies an action of a sort. Yet by your logic, even someone staring blankly at a wall would be traveling into the future.

The reason mere existance is not considered time travel is because it is time that dose the traveling, not us. We are stationary...time moves on.

The concept of "Time Travel" as it appears in Sci-fi involves moving ether against the flow of, or simply faster then, the speed of time itself. Taking some form of action, and going somewhere you wouldn't otherwise be.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:24 am
sitting here at my computer I am in the present. not looking into the future. in the present is the only place we physically can be. the future is only the potential of what can happen next. the present is what's happening *now*, and even if we could physically travel to sometime in the past, once there it would then beome the present.. the 'now' to us.

whether it could possible or not to physically travel a time in the past, I dont know. perhaps it could be done astrally, but again I dont know. all I know is that we are ever in the present, tho many people cling to events of the past causing them to live in the past (for they cannot let go) and because of that they are missing what's happening in the present. but that's now getting off topic.  

Calypsophia

I am Yuu-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:27 pm
you wrote something interesting there and I would like to quote it

Nyoro-Chan
All we need is to believe that we are traveling

I know this can sound out of context, but is not like that, since your whole rant is about think that present does not exists but present is here when is there while you read not caring about time, it will be past by now but there was a present does not matter if it last a second or two or not even one, but it was there cuz past to be past had to be a present first.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:09 am
Time flows like a river and so to explain time travel.

Time tavel like that mentioned in the first post of this forum (Passive time travel) is basicaly we are curently floating down the rive of time and while we may be stationary and doing nothing we float or move with time.

Time travel like in Sci-Fi is where through some device, power, Etc... we are able to move abnormaly into the past or futre. This is like driving a motorboat up river or down river faster than is normal.  

BluePod

Sinmodonly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:53 am
I do not think we could travel in time, yet by theory it is done at the same time with that of a Black Hole. I think time might be a mind set we have, thus we are making the rules of the reality we live in.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 pm
Mercyonthesoul
I do not think we could travel in time, yet by theory it is done at the same time with that of a Black Hole. I think time might be a mind set we have, thus we are making the rules of the reality we live in.

on one hand, 'time' is a concept. but concept or not, day turns to night and turns to day, and so time passes whether we keep track of the hours or not. what time is is a measurement of change, nothing more and nothing less.  

Calypsophia

Lil Tree Hugger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:32 pm
lilraine
sitting here at my computer I am in the present. not looking into the future. in the present is the only place we physically can be. the future is only the potential of what can happen next. the present is what's happening *now*, and even if we could physically travel to sometime in the past, once there it would then beome the present.. the 'now' to us.

whether it could possible or not to physically travel a time in the past, I dont know. perhaps it could be done astrally, but again I dont know. all I know is that we are ever in the present, tho many people cling to events of the past causing them to live in the past (for they cannot let go) and because of that they are missing what's happening in the present. but that's now getting off topic.

I guess you can mentally be in the past...but not the future...you are always in the past...if you are on the computer you can read stuff from the past...and accidents like what she mentioned above...but never in the future. The future hasn't happened yet...

But what you are saying makes sense. Cool way to think of that.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:18 pm
Lil Island Beach Bum
lilraine

I guess you can mentally be in the past...but not the future...you are always in the past...if you are on the computer you can read stuff from the past...and accidents like what she mentioned above...but never in the future. The future hasn't happened yet...

But what you are saying makes sense. Cool way to think of that.

actually, one can spend time mentally in the future.. when you're looking forward to something and get caught in day dreams about it waiting for it, or when you obsess about a test your having the next day, or all day fearing the bully that threatened to kick your butt after school. just because it hasnt happened yet, doesnt mean we cant project what it will be like or what will happen. our projections are usually wrong tho.. things rarely ever turn out the way we expect. but when you're obsessing... in constant thought about either something that happened already or something yet to come, you are not mentally in the present  

Calypsophia

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:35 am
Time travel is not impossible to imagine, but technically it is impossible (for our times now) to travel back in time. Anyways, what you (@ OP) described was already described by Albert Einstein, the faster an object moves, the slower appears the time.

By the way I have a joke:

"Wanna timetravel? Meet me here last Thursday!"  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:59 pm
BluePod
Time flows like a river and so to explain time travel.

Time tavel like that mentioned in the first post of this forum (Passive time travel) is basicaly we are curently floating down the rive of time and while we may be stationary and doing nothing we float or move with time.

Time travel like in Sci-Fi is where through some device, power, Etc... we are able to move abnormaly into the past or futre. This is like driving a motorboat up river or down river faster than is normal.

that is one way tho look at time. that is how most people precieve time, in a linear form. there other theorys on how time works, one is the concept of time as a circle or and "endless ring of light". i cant quit remember the ins and outs of the concept, but it was pretty clearly outlined in the novel by Madeleine L'Engle "an endless ring of light". (most of her books explore theories of time)

so if we do not accept the premis that time "flows like a river" or in a linear fashion, then we must decide how to classify it befor we can select a direction to travel in.

if anyone would like to continue this, i'll go refresh my memory on the different theorys of time.  

esima sama

Questionable Informer

9,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hunter 50

Anabethe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:36 pm
ive had this discussion in the past with some friends, and we came to the conclusion that there is a present. by present we mean what is happening right now it doesnt really have to have a time. yes a few second ago was the past and a few minutes from now will be the future but there is a present. just had to get that out of my chest please dont flame me sweatdrop just sharing knowledge. as for time machines my opinion is that its possible. the only problem is that if it happens we will all be screwed and then that will lead to the end of the world(most likely) sweatdrop  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff